Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Hey John / Kamado Grills - Sounds pretty sleazy to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToastedMorsel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:28 pm    

Hey John / Kamado Grills - Sounds pretty sleazy to me.

How can you expect people to believe that you are honest and have intentions to run a legitimate company when the first thing you do is to copy Komodo Kamado's patented features?
I've heard that you intend to use their two layered body which I'm sure is patented by KK.
Sounds pretty sleazy to me.

I hope Dennis steps up, sues your ass and closes Kamado for good.
Some dogs are better left dead
and might even need a kick or two.
Shocked Shocked
rockdawg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:13 pm    

IF you think multi layer cooking as a concept is patented, I think All-Clad would be the one filing suit..

Now that what 'you've heard' has been dispelled by the people doing the work, are you going to apologize for registering for their board just to attack them?
Nemesis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:23 pm    

Huh? Are you saying that anything made of two layers falls under All Clad's patent? You patent an idea for a particular use, right?

All Clad certainly doesn't have a broad patent on electroplating of metals, or any other bi-layer product outside of their own market space, and that is assuming that the patent that relates to bi-metal cookware has not expired in the first place.

Designs, uses, methods, and materials can all be subject to a patent. Enjoy:
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/iip/pdf/brochure_05.pdf

BTW, while that may not have been a very neighborly first post it goes with the territory. RJ has already stolen most of the Komodo ideas that he could figure out how to reproduce, or afford to implement. Its not much of a stretch to expect the new owners to pick up where he left off.

Pretty soon, the refractory cooker market will be like the mobile device market, where every idea or change will need to be negotiated as a patent infringement.
rockdawg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:43 pm    

AAAAGGH! OF course not that would be silly... as silly as saying ANYONE'S design patent would do with any one else's cooker design unless they actually violated the design points patented... and in this case since 1) no multi layer patents could possibly be violated because the new guys aren't even casting that way (though they were attacked for doing just that... sounded just like RJ railing at NW back in the day) and 2) according to Toasted Morsel it seems that ANYONE making a cooking implement with multiple layers is violating Harbinson-Walker's and Dennis Linkletter's patents for one design.

That of course would be absurd which is what you pointed out... right?
Nemesis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:04 pm    

Absolutely, but with the specific regard to dual layer construction in a refractory grill, it appears the Komodo DOES hold that patent:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1491&p=13502&hil it=patent#p14033

Assuming that patent is valid, it appears the only debatable point should be whether or not Kamado is infringing. As they have said they are not/will not, then that is settled as well. But as far as what people hear around the ceramic world...word travels fast, and rumors can definitely flourish. Unfortunately, when they involve the name Kamado, people have been conditioned to assume the worst.

I'm certainly not willing to chastise Toasted for calling out what they may have heard. At least the new Kamadoes had the opportunity to dispel the myth - and hopefully are not lying about it Shocked Only time will tell about that.

The only think Toasted might be guilty of right now is lack of tact Very Happy
rockdawg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:25 pm    

I think it depends on what the materials for a multi layer casting are and the purpose... But perhaps you are right.

I see a chance for a new beginning (since I was stranded with a long running 'it's in the mail' parts order when the carpetbaggers left town I pretty much have to have hope).

Others may never see that and treat anyone with just one K in their name as a virtual RJ.

Time will tell. I for one hope they are sincere as no one else competes in the full sized ceramic cooker space other than KK right now. It can only help both companies to have an honest competitor to force innovation on all fronts.
Kamado Grills

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:45 pm    

As far as the dual layer cookers go we are no longer casting that way, and we hear things as well and have been told that Dennis has stopped using the dual layer also due to the fact that people are unhappy when the inner layer begins to flake. I've already stated with our new refractory we would no longer need an inner layer. Thanks for the support feel free to buy a newly designed Kamado and find out for yourself.

And BTW we didn't pick up where Richard left of, we have gone through and improved many aspects of our product so Much so that our cost of materials alone has doubled.

Thanks
Kamado
Nemesis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:28 pm    

Kamado Grills wrote:
As far as the dual layer cookers go we are no longer casting that way, and we hear things as well and have been told that Dennis has stopped using the dual layer also due to the fact that people are unhappy when the inner layer begins to flake. I've already stated with our new refractory we would no longer need an inner layer.

I think you are talking about two different things. The Komodo dual layer is actually two different refractory mixes, not just a coating. The inner layer of a Komodo is a dense refractory to hold and reflect heat, while the outer layer is an insulating layer. There was also a thin coating on the inside of the first few generations of cookers. It was this coating that flaked away eventually, and is no longer used.

The patent refers to the wall constructed of two different densities of refractory - not just smearing a cosmetic coating on the inside of the grill. There used to be a picture of a KK that was cut in half in this thread, but the picture was lost in one of the forum upgrades.

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=728&p=5834&hili t=layers#p5834

More here:
http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2416&hilit=laye rs

Kamado Grills wrote:
Thanks for the support feel free to buy a newly designed Kamado and find out for yourself.

Probably not gonna happen...I have been waiting years for the one I have to be replaced under the lifetime warranty, tile loss warranty, firebox not crumbling warranty, grill not cracking in half and leaking smoke all over warranty, etc.

In the meantime, I bought a Komodo, and when my orginal early-generation Komodo had problems, it was promptly replaced, with no hassle whatsoever. No trying to get me to pay for the shipping, send pictures of the original after being demolished, filing fraud complaints all over the American west, or any of that...just replaced with an apology for my inconvenience. Shocked

And for the record, if you have a look at the older pages on the Komodo forum, you will find many of the names you see here treating Dennis withe the same questioning and mistrust. He earned his reputation, You guys will get to do the same

Kamado Grills wrote:

And BTW we didn't pick up where Richard left of, we have gone through and improved many aspects of our product so Much so that our cost of materials alone has doubled
Congratulations... Though I doubt that would have been hard to do with cement running at about $4 a bag! Or were you factoring in the "RJ quotient"? That is the postulate that says for any grill the cost is actually only 8% of the actual materials, since he only shipped one out of every 15 he sold?
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:45 pm    

You can see the current KK construction here:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: