Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

2002 Kamado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roden2000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:54 am    

2002 Kamado

I bought a #7 from RJ in 2002 or 2003. It was delivered to my home in Alabama and worked great out of the box. 3 years ago it started to get water in it and I could not figure out where it was coming from. I emailed RJ and he told me to put an umbrella over it but that makes no sense since it did not take any water on for 5 years. I do not see any visible cracks on it. The water has to be coming in at the damper, in the felt seals, the bottom vent plate, or a crack or leak on the unit itself. I replaced the felt and that helped. This thing turned out some great food for 5 years or so before the leak issue. Any advice on how to fix it or do I need to be looking for another grill? I have been going without for 3 years and it sucks.

Also my metal fire box rotted out and I need to replace it. I got the newsletter from RJ but have no interest in doing any further business with him. Also the bolt that holds the damper rotted out so I have to come up with something to make that part of the system work. Any suggestions. I was close to buying another grill but mine still looks good and most of the parts seem to be functional. I guess I got lucky compared to some of the posts I read. I must have bought mine pre yacht theft.
Kamado Grills

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:30 pm    

Feel free to shoot us am email with a few pictures and we will do what we can to help you out. We actually build and ship parts unlike some "other" people.

John
KamadoGrills@gmail.com
KamadoUSA.com
roden2000

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:48 am    

I lubed all the metal parts and replaced the felt where the top and bottom meet. I think the felt was the biggest problem. I emailed RJ several times over the years about the leaking and diminished cooking abilities of my Kamado but his only response was to get a cover for it. He never let me on the forum probably to hold off the complaints. I found out about the felt on the Primos website and got some from a local dealer. My Kamado is functioning great now and can hold low temperature for long periods of time. It still takes in water during heavy rain so I am going to cover it. The nut that holds the bolt threading on the top damper broke but I have been regulating flow with a screwdriver which seems to work fine. I had a killer brisket this weekend. I think I am going to be able to get use out of the grill moving forward and I am glad to see a new company picked up the product and offers accessories of which I will be purchasing. I guess I got real lucky with my Kamado.
tskyrocket

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:39 pm    

Is your "felt" actually felt or is it a flat fiber glass gasket? I'd love to find a domestic source for the flat fiber glass. All I can find is fiber glass tube for oven gaskets.
Thanks.
roden2000

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:55 pm    

It is a head resistant felt and you apply it with a thin bead of heat resistant gasket silicon. I found out about the felt at a Primo grill dealer who had it in stock. For about 21.00 I got me Kamado back to prime form. You can order it off the website too.

http://primogrill.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: