Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Anybody see the new "ash test" on The Naked Whiz s
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Charcoal K-tastrophy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porkchop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:03 am    

Anybody see the new "ash test" on The Naked Whiz s

hilarious! he compares the ash production of the much-touted Kamado extrusion lump charcoal by ash volume and WEIGHT! awesome!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag62.htm

the silence concerning their MUCH-AWAITED charcoal has been defeaning! now we know why... would have expected rave reviews by now... must be Kamado's "best kept secret" Rolling Eyes
LeadDog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:39 am    

I have only seen one person post about the new charcoal so far. He didn't really say much said he needed to do a low n slow test.
Gerard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:50 am    

Re: Anybody see the new "ash test" on The Naked Wh

Porkchop wrote:
...the silence concerning their MUCH-AWAITED charcoal has been defeaning! now we know why... would have expected rave reviews by now... must be Kamado's "best kept secret" Rolling Eyes

It's obvious. All Klump customers must now sign a non-disclosure agreement.
Santana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:11 pm    

Geez

Geez.

Those charcoal must be the cheapest one I have ever seen.
I bet if you test deeper, you'll find scary stuff there.

To produce a cheap stuff like that, you are going to use anything that is cheap. My question is that, are you sure those are from the coconut shell? Are you sure they are using a natural binder (not chemical one)?

These charcoal must be made from a poor technology, they are not extruded (pressed by high presure hydrolic machine), and poor raw material, so the strenght is not superior and it looks like they are using a hexagonal molding instead of hydrolic machine to extrude them.

How do they manage to hold the form into a hexagonal shape? Use a lot of binder, I mean a A LOT, how to make it cheaper? Use any glue that costs very cheap.

Geez...
curly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:10 am    

Re: Geez

Santana wrote:
Geez.

Those charcoal must be the cheapest one I have ever seen.
I bet if you test deeper, you'll find scary stuff there.

To produce a cheap stuff like that, you are going to use anything that is cheap. My question is that, are you sure those are from the coconut shell? Are you sure they are using a natural binder (not chemical one)?

These charcoal must be made from a poor technology, they are not extruded (pressed by high presure hydrolic machine), and poor raw material, so the strenght is not superior and it looks like they are using a hexagonal molding instead of hydrolic machine to extrude them.

How do they manage to hold the form into a hexagonal shape? Use a lot of binder, I mean a A LOT, how to make it cheaper? Use any glue that costs very cheap.

Geez...

Sounds like words from a very experienced charcoal extruder Very Happy
Tell us more, it is very interesting stuff.
Gerard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:03 am    

Hey Santana,

As long as we have your expertise here... what do you think of the silica gel packet that was included in one of the boxes the Whiz received?

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/bag62misc2.jpg

Ever hear of any manufacturer using it for shipping? Reckon it would be effective? Reckon one packet would protect two boxes? Reckon some mold might improve this charcoal? Or at least make it prettier?
u2plt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:26 pm    

Kamado ECL Ash

My son and I bought 20 boxes of Kamado ELC which arrived in November 2006. I had a K-9 and after using just 1 plus 1/2 of this new longer ECL the bottom of my K-9 was stuffed with ashes. We also found just as the Naked Whiz did that after a burn and shut down, if you stirred things around the left over ECL partially burned would fall appart into dust. The boxes said made in Thailand & had the usually ashless statements etc. This is the worst charcoal of any kind I have ever used in over 45 years. My son had a K-7 and got the same bad results.
curly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:05 pm    

Re: Kamado ECL Ash

u2plt wrote:
My son and I bought 20 boxes of Kamado ELC which arrived in November 2006. I had a K-9 and after using just 1 plus 1/2 of this new longer ECL the bottom of my K-9 was stuffed with ashes. We also found just as the Naked Whiz did that after a burn and shut down, if you stirred things around the left over ECL partially burned would fall appart into dust. The boxes said made in Thailand & had the usually ashless statements etc. This is the worst charcoal of any kind I have ever used in over 45 years. My son had a K-7 and got the same bad results.

Did you try to get a refund?
Gerard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:12 pm    

Re: Kamado ECL Ash

u2plt wrote:
...This is the worst charcoal of any kind I have ever used in over 45 years....

Wow, thanks for posting. There's been very little feedback about recent charcoal shipments.

Seems the Kamado Co is losing lots of good customers over this charcoal. Now I see why The Naked Whiz has been so perplexed over some of the recent CEL offerings. I believe he thought that at least some of the Thai charcoal approached the quality of the Filipino charcoal from Santana.

I'm curious, did you communicate your dissatisfaction to the company?

If so, what was the response?
Santana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:00 pm    

Gerard wrote:
Hey Santana,

what do you think of the silica gel packet that was included in one of the boxes the Whiz received?

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/bag62misc2.jpg

Hi Gerard

It's not clear enough if the silica gel is put INSIDE or OUTSIDE the plastic. If they put outside the plastic, then there will be no effect. If it is inside, then, there are several probabilities:

1. Richard was complaining about moisture content from Thailand and asked the new supplier to put silica gel in the box, hoping the moisture will be under control during shipping. (I don't think so Very Happy)

2. The supplier doesn't have a dryer and using the sun to dry the raw material and the briquettes, so the moisture content is high when forming into hexagonal shape

3. Weight is a lot more than 16.5lbs when packaging (due to high moisture content from the raw material and "THE GLUE"), so the Mac Gyver put silica gel in the box hoping to absorb the glue & charcoal moisture content

I know a lot of 'home made' briquettes use molding to form a hexagonal shape and here is the process:

powder + granular + glue are mixed, put them into a hexagonal pipe +/- 60cm, press them by hand power and close the 2 end pipe. Put all these pipes in the warehouse or under the sun for 1 - 3 weeks. Open it, and start cutting manually the so called 'extruded' coconut charcoal. Whalla... we got an extruded coconut charcoal. This kind of process will use a lot of binder and powder to make the process a lot easier.

Gerard wrote:

Ever hear of any manufacturer using it for shipping? Reckon it would be effective? Reckon one packet would protect two boxes? Reckon some mold might improve this charcoal? Or at least make it prettier?

I have never seen charcoal briquettes with silica gel inside the box. Very Happy If they use a lot of it, it will absorb the moisture more. I don't know what is the moisture percentage and how many percentage does 1 box of silica gel can absorb.

You can try to test it by your self. It is easy enough.

1. weight the briquettes
2. burn it
3. weight the left over

(number of left over) / (the origial weight) x 100. We get the moisture content. (Not exact, but close enough).

I am not an expert, though, I just know how to do it Very Happy

Regards
Santana
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:52 am    

Santana, does the charcoal that is made using these hexagonal pipes and glue and so forth, have a hole down the center? Or is it solid? This latest RJ coconut charcoal is so misshapen and crooked, that you wonder if they even let it dry before they took it out of the molds.
foxhound

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:47 am    

If prior behavior is a predictor, I would not be surprised if Richard makes himself the victim here and claims he has been scammed. Of course the fact that Richard can't get anyone do do business with him twice is totally irrelevant. Laughing Laughing He is seeking out the cheapest most unsophisticated producers....of course they only use sustainable sources that he never reveals nor does repeat business with! And remember they only do the charcoal as a service to their customers because they do not make any money from this effort. Laughing Laughing
Beerco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:15 am    

Santana wrote:

1. weight the briquettes
2. burn it
3. weight the left over

(number of left over) / (the origial weight) x 100. We get the moisture content. (Not exact, but close enough).

This won't work because most of the weight loss is due to the carbon and other "stuff" used during combustion. The weight of the lost carbon will be far greater than the moisture content of the charcoal unless it was quite wet.

It's quite obvious that the Koal is Krap through.
curly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:14 pm    

Santana wrote:

1. weight the briquettes
2. burn it
3. weight the left over

Don't sound very scientific, Santana did you get this formula from TNW? He makes stuff up ya know Rolling Eyes
Nerka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:55 pm    

I would say take the weight of the briquettes.
Put them in a drying oven.
Weight of the briquettes after drying.

weight left/original weight x 100 = moisture content
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Charcoal K-tastrophy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: