Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Alternative Options?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:14 am    

Alternative Options?

My apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this.

Let me say first that I really appreciate this site. I was looking at various smoker/grill options, and was seriously considering buying a Kamado. (!)

So my question for all of you is: what grill/smoker would you recommend for someone who would love to own something like a Kamado (without all the attendant issues)? I saw some support for the Big Green Egg, but then I saw another post suggesting similar problems with customer support.

So what would you all recommend?

Thanks in advance!

-Andrew
Fetzervalve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:41 am    

Andrew.
Here is the closest in terms of appearance, if you like a tiled or textured cooker www.komodokamado.com - a higher quality product and certainly no customer service problems!
Porkchop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:02 am    

welcome, andrew! glad this forum helped you. i own a #7 kamado, and a Volcanic OTB from komodo kamado. i have also had the opportunity to cook on BGE.

the OTB is my favorite by far, but many folks have different considerations than i have. the OTB comes in one size; friggen huge, same size as my #7. i need to have that much grill space, tho. BGE's come in many SM, MED, LG, & XL. i would choose my OTB over an XL BGE, for a couple of reasons. if you want, or are needing to go smaller, BGE is a great choice. they are excellent cookers, and nothing to sneeze at for sure! both are capable of doing extended low & slow cooks, and turbo-high temp for steaks & pizza.

there's also the primo oval, which i've seen but not cooked with. they look pretty cool, but cant speak from experience how well they cook. i think one of the fellas here has a couple primo's; he could advise you better.

personally, as i'm sure you already know from my presence here, i would under no circumstances choose to purchase a kamado from www.kamado.com! i would go with a steelie, a weber kettle, or an ECB before taking that plunge.

good luck; you've already had a bit of it just by wandering over to this forum! feel free to PM if you have other questions of comparison, etc.
AndrewT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:37 am    

Thanks for the quick reply!

Porkchop, just curious: why do you prefer the OTB to the XL BGE?
jchan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:59 am    

It's almost as if some companies don't mind people looking at the competition, check out the stickies:
http://komodokamado.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35

In general the KK is the main competition for the premium grill market. BGE is also great in that they have multiple sizes, a decent fanbase, tend to be cheaper (at least for the basic setup), and are sold in local stores. Most of the rest like Primo or Imperial don't get mentioned much.
Porkchop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:20 am    

AndrewT wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply!

Porkchop, just curious: why do you prefer the OTB to the XL BGE?

well, there's esthetics for one, but that's not the main thing. what i REALLY like about the OTB is the spring-loaded hinge. the dome actually pops open after you open the front latch. i have been burned b4 by "flashback" and super-heated steam. one burn in particular was very bad, and a direct result of having to slowly lower the heavy dome of my #7 slower than i would like, to avoid breaking it. with the OTB, all i have to do is jump back and let go. no worries, the dome just springs open. no shattered dome, hunks of flaming cement, or burned digits. it is also just handy for 1-handed operation, when you have your other hand full with a big platter o' steaks. i find the hinge on the XL BGE to be a bit "eccentric". it doesn't operate smoothly, but is kind of jarring.

other considerations include the stainless airflow hardware, the fine adjust knob on the lower draft door, the double gasketed dome and upper draft, and all the "extras" that come standard.
curly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:05 pm    

Re: Alternative Options?

Alright...another one saved by the site. The biggest/best decision has already been made...the one you decided not to buy Very Happy
u2plt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:47 pm    

A Comparison

Go to: www.thenakedwhiz.com and you will find a BGE owner who recently compared the BGE to the OTB KomodoKamado with one specific test. He also has a comprehensive test of almost every form of charcoal, by brand, you could find. He is very good at testing.
tcoliver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:41 pm    

I think the BGE and KK are both great products but the question is do you want a ferrari or a volxwagon? The KK is much more durable and has a lot more conveniences for an easier cook but if you just want a ceramic product that gives you good food the BGE will do the trick.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: