Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Why is my K ... OK?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Hall of Shame
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lago

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:53 pm    

Why is my K ... OK?

Hello...I was lured here by one of your guys sending a PM. Very interesting site I must say! I'm guessing most of the problems I see with the K's here is poor QC? I've had mine since 2002 I think and don't have any of the problems I see here. Now...mine is textured but I don't have the cracking or ceramic just falling apart that you guys have had. I live in NJ so it gets beat up pretty good with our winters and I use it pretty heavily year round. I guess they've gone through different formulas or they don't check the mixture for consistency or whatever. Who knows but it's obviously a problem. I would be extremely PO'd if I spent large bucks on a beautiful tiled unit and it fell apart!!! I was bummed that I couldn't afford a tiled one in 2002 ... now I think it was Karma taking care of me Smile
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:25 am    

Just so you know, your cooker is not made from ceramic. It is a mixture of portland cement and crushed lava rock. Like you suspect, I think everyone suspects that it is just poor QC. In view of the way RJ stiffs his suppliers, it is most likely that he gets his portland cement from many different sources over the years.
Gerard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:43 am    

Hello Lago.

I'm glad your K is holding up well. Textured K's seem to have less problems. Thanks for not letting your positive experience prevent you from objectively evaluating the material on this site and recognizing that others have not been as fortunate.

We have some other regular participants who have not been directly harmed by the Johnsons but who feel that their contributions are helping to protect others from being hurt. You're welcome to stay despite your healthy cooker.
foxhound

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:19 am    

Lago....My kamado has not suffered any structural/mechanical failure, however I experienced exceptionally poor customer service on another issue that continued a very very long time. They would never return a phone call or email and would not answer their phones. They also lied about shipping and the state of completion. Laura and RJ told conflicting lies. Those posts are not made up on that forum. People cannot get response from them for overdue orders, repairs, etc.

Interestingly during this period when they would not return calls or emails they sent me an unsolicited investment offerring.
Lago

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:30 pm    

fishtail-99 wrote:
Just so you know, your cooker is not made from ceramic. It is a mixture of portland cement and crushed lava rock.

Is that a bad thing?
foxhound

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:28 pm    

I certainly don't have any proof that it is harmful Lago....but it is marketed as a ceramic BBQ which is a clear misrepresentation. Nobody here is saying all the kamados are going to fall apart, only that if you have the misfortune to have a problem they ignore many more than they remedy. As I said, mine is still structurally ok. I have been away from home a lot the past couple of years and it does not see the level of use that many give theirs. I am very careful with the threaded bolt for the damper, cleaning and oiling it so it doesn't freeze up. There have been several that have broken the neck on theirs when it froze up.
Lago

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:30 pm    

sam wrote:
I am very careful with the threaded bolt for the damper, cleaning and oiling it so it doesn't freeze up. There have been several that have broken the neck on theirs when it froze up.

I worry about that and the draft door guides. I'm always swapping out the K door with the Guru door and I'm just waiting for the day they fail.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Hall of Shame All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: