Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Kamado Formula Revealed

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:28 pm    

Kamado Formula Revealed

This comes to us compliments of a disgruntled ex-plant-manager. It is a snippet of exchange when Kamado was looking to improve their standard formula of portland cement and red-lava-rock. It is unknown whether the more advanced formula was ever introduced, but based on their history, it is probably safe to assume not.

Quote:
To: "Richard Johnson" <richard@kamado.com
Subject: Re: REFRACTORY
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:18:59 -0700

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your response. Here are the answers to your questions.

1. How long do you suggest that we wait, after removing from the molds, before we use in normal operation? That is up to 1000 to 1200 degrees F.?

A: at least 24 hours.

2. We are considerably over our material budget. Can we add the "cinder" (lava) we use to reduce the costs? Have any ideas? Cinder has proven to be excellent, but what would you suggest for the mechanical bond (hydraulic)?

A:We are testing a piece with 50% MILBRO and the other 50% with 1/8 minus cinder and Portland cement. It seems fine. I think cinders is a pretty good idea but if you want to make this a normal practice, we should add more refractory binder in our mix so that we use only a single type of bond that will hold the cinders. You will have much better quality control this way.

3. Have you a idea of the container ocean freight to Indonesia? From what port? Shipping time?

A: We can ship containers from Charleston, SC. We are investigate rates and shipping times

4. Do you have a distributor in Asia? Or a competitor (I am sure you would tell me)?

A: Although we ship material to Asia, we do not have a distributor in Asia at this time. Yes we have competitors in Asia but I would hesitate to recommend one, not because I'm afraid of losing a sale, but because Asian Refractories do not have the best reputation for consistency and quality. I would gladly make a recommendation for European refractories if you would so like.

5. What would you suggest to reduce the formula costs? We can reduce the strength of this formula, i.e. it has more than enough strength. Lighter the better. Maybe 25% less.

A; We are working on this as I type. I will get back to you next week with some suggestions. Our Lab will advise.

Regards,

XXXXX

So there's your kamado formula: 1-8 Cinder-Portland.

Laughing
foxhound

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:04 pm    

So who needs m-61 and 62? Shocked Laughing
Gerard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:18 pm    

Hey Admin,

Any idea who the original writer was? Obviously not the plant mgr.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:31 pm    

A Milbro representative.

How much did RJ stiff THEM for? Probably not much because he couldn't afford their stuff anyway. Laughing
Gerard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:07 pm    

Admin wrote:
A Milbro representative.

How much did RJ stiff THEM for? Probably not much because he couldn't afford their stuff anyway. Laughing

You know, if RJ did make some with bona fide refractory materials then perhaps that accounts for some of the "good", trouble-free kamados out there.

I'm surprised that MILBRO was doing so much of his research for him though. Guess anything to seal the deal. Probably thought RJ was going to buy entire cargo ships of material from him.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: