Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Look Out Johnnyboy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Problems with Richard J
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:33 am    

You'll have to pardon me for speculating, but what do you want to bet that if you read between the lines, what RJ is saying is not that the cover will be made with "Sunbrella" by DuPont, but rather a cheap imitation ripoff that he gets in Indonesia? I have to imagine that what he is doing here is going to the well of customers one more time by ripping them off on a cover for their POSKooker. He probably spends $2 or $3 in material, nothing on his Indonesian labor and then sells them for top dollar as if they were a quality product. He's probably done the math and figures he can make $100 per cover and make enough money to buy a plane ticket and come home. Of course, not to mention the fact that he is going to essentially extort his kustomers into buying these things because if they don't, well then it's THEIR fault their tiles are shedding. They didn't seal the grout (huh? the manual didn't say to) and didn't buy a cover. You have voided the warrantee!
foxhound

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:05 am    

The seams on this thing appear to have some sort of plastic blue tape. Am I the only one that thinks this thing looks HIDEOUS? I wouldn't want it in my yard.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:00 am    

Quote:
Wheatridge
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:46 am:

All this cover talk?? How many people bought a K just to have a shapeless lump of canvas on your patio, deck or in your backyard.

Even the Ebay ads say "Functional Yard Art". There isn't anything very artsy about canvas covers. I say build them and seal them so we can enjoy it as functional yard art or else we might as well have all bought webers

Hehehehe

Wink
Gerard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:31 am    

Admin wrote:
Quote:
Wheatridge
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 9:46 am:

All this cover talk?? How many people bought a K just to have a shapeless lump of canvas on your patio, deck or in your backyard.

Even the Ebay ads say "Functional Yard Art". There isn't anything very artsy about canvas covers. I say build them and seal them so we can enjoy it as functional yard art or else we might as well have all bought webers

Hehehehe

Wink

Well said.

Or, if the K fan prefers to maintain the yard art aspect, just collect the fallen tiles from the patio and glue them to the cover.
Johnnyboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:46 am    

Be careful what RJ tells you/sells you.

I have no idea what Sunbrella by Dupont is!!!

Glen Raven Inc. holds the copyright for the real/original "Sunbrella", not Dupont. If RJ is using Sunbrella for his covers (even though he thinks it's from Dupont), there are many-many grades of Sunbrella. Not all Sunbrella is equal, or the same weight.

Sunbrella is developed for every application; from standard Indoor Furniture grade to the Premium level Exterior Marine Grade which is what I use. I would suggest inquiring to what grade RJ's using, if you trust his answer.

Oh, and the blue stuff you see on the seams. Appears to be a vinyl/plastic type binding material that hides a standard seam allowance. I've seen it before, comes on a roll. If it's not made from Sunbrella the vinyl will become brittle and crack within a couple years. It's cheap and a time saver!; however, you give up the double overlapped twice-sewn waterproof seams that provide the best results. Think about it; why do you think we don't see custom boat covers seamed with vinyl strips?

From one griller to the next; just be careful what you purchase, that's all I want to say.

I'm not worried about losing business to RJ. My reputation stands on it's own. I retired my upholstery/canvas business years ago for a career in IT. Canvas work is only a hobby for me now; something to do for fun. Believe me RJ making cheap covers isn't going to hurt me any worse than the next cheap cover maker. Fortunately my work is sought after for the quality and service I provide, not cheap prices.
DavidS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:40 am    

rj answer to wheatridge

Richardj
Post Number: 2320

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:48 am: Edit Post Print Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
Larry, I have been using Kamados for over 48 years and I have never covered any including the first tiled Kamado I ever made over 13 ears ago. This is the same one we use 3 or 4 times a week and there is not one tile loose or missing. Like you I have always lived in moderate climates. I believe your airport is under 1000 feet above sea level. I am sure none of my Kamados have seen snow or frequent hard rain. Like you, I have no intention of covering my Kamados. In fact, less than 1/10 of one percent of all the 1000's of Kamados we sold have any tile problems, but even one is too many.

I am afraid I might reconsider, until "global warming" hits (if ever), if I lived in Eastern Canada or much of the North East, upper Mid-west, Mountains or similar locations when many would not visit their back yard during these severe winter months let alone cook out.

While aesthetics is an important part of owning a Kamado, I believe the heavy ceramic walls (mass) and the shape gives the unique cooking are the primary benefits of owning a Kamado.

By the way most people cover Webers, I think because they are ugly and rust. I remembered years ago that I covered my new Porsche even though I kept it in a garage, but this was because I was paranoid.

Thanks for your comment. Richard
Johnnyboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:27 am    

I wish I could edit my above post on Sunbrella.

Again, I don't know anything about Sunbrella by Dupont that RJ at Kamado advertises for their covers.

But the "Orginal" Sunbrella product copyright by Glen Raven I use, comes in many different varities, with different warranties, for different applications.

What I'm telling you is; simply saying "Sunbrella" doesn't tell you what you're getting! It tells you your getting "something" from the product line. For example indoor furniture grade Sunbrella only has a 3 year warranty, doesn't have the weight, cost less, and DOES NOT have all the protection of the more expensive Premium Exterior Marine Grade Sunbrella (again, is what I use).

I simply feel an awesome cooker needs an awesome cover. Not some cheapie cover grill manufacturers will sell you through Lowe's/Home Depot for $49. Okay I didn't know my covers would outlast a Kamado at the time (personal experience). But anyway, I've been in the business 25+ years and strived from my experience to design/build the best grill cover I can possibly produce for fello grillers desiring such a product.

Anyone can make cheap covers; I'm just not interested in putting my effort or name into one.

Oh! I haven't gotten into the thread, but cheap thread is also available and an important factor to consider for any cover. I only use the highest quality of polyester thread, approved by Glen Raven. Ultra Dee thread, polyester thread with excellent resistance to sunlight, mildew, weathering and abrasion.

Okay, think I've educated enough for now. Anyother questions please send me email to coverworks@hotmail.com

Cheers,
John
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Problems with Richard J All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: