Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Smoke between the bands! Any suggestions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Hall of Shame
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:44 am    

Smoke between the bands! Any suggestions

How did this get past Quality Control?

Quote:
Bigred
Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:11 pm:

We have been using our new kamado for about 4 months, and figured our excessive lump use was due to the subzero temperatures during the winter. Unfortunately it's warm out, but no improvement. There is also a 50 degree difference on opposite sides of the grill, and there is lots of smoke coming out between the base and the left side lid.

The paper test reveals large defects on that side. I noticed that the spring prop tubes don't line up, and there is scissoring between the base and lid:

I tried multiple band adjustments (minor & major), but could not get any improvement in outcome. When I straighten out the scissoring so the lid and base are aligned, there are even worse smoke leaks.

The spring prop hinge is also loose and wiggles back and forth to the point where any adjustment is not permanent (see picture-there is a gap where the attachment is.)

Any suggestions? I'm not sure what to do next.
We of course are still using the kamado, and enjoying the meals, but were wondering what to do to fix this structural problem to be able to have an even cooking temp and save lump.

Thanks

I'm sure Richard will have a replacement on it's way in no time.

Wink
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:35 pm    

So, let's do a quick wrapup of what's wrong with Richard's cookers:

1) The tiles fall off
2) The bodies crack
3) The stainless steel is substandard and rusts
4) The damper tops will freeze shut, freeing the damper often destroys the lid
5) And now we see that even on his newest cookers, the metal work is shoddy and the mechanical fit of the parts is sloppy, making for an ineffective cooker.

Check, double check and triple check!
Nemesis

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:36 pm    

Lets see how RJ spins this into a "fix it yourself" solution Rolling Eyes

Bigred is going to need to get himself a welder, and a really big erector set so he can get busy on his repairs.
bdonson

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:40 pm    

It won't be long and the fanboy's will be jumping in to tell how to silicone up the lid. My Posk leaks like hell too. I felt like an idiot smearing silicone on a brand new 1500.00 grill. Oh yeah "Honey this grill will last the rest of my life" what a load.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Hall of Shame All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: