Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Nice new rod firebox - rusting to hell already!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Hall of Shame
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:24 pm    

Nice new rod firebox - rusting to hell already!

Here are a couple of pics that were posted on the K forum, showing how to fix your NEW rod firebox to fit your grill. These things are NEW and they are all rusted over?!?

The innovation and improvement at Kamado never ceases! They are continuously striving to cut a new corner or save some expense. Surprised Using low grade carbon steel ensures that you will have to come back for another soon enough. Maybe people should order now so the replacement will be here by the time it rusts through?
Johnnyboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:08 am    

Mine looked like that from the get go. In fact I thought it was used.
foxhound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:24 am    

It probably was used....remember they were salvaging their bone yard when you received your replacement...Where did yours ship from?
Johnnyboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:55 am    

According to Con-Way BOL, was picked up Otay Center Drive, San Diego, CA.
jamesmb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:03 am    

Just a question - I understood the firebox parts were never made of stainless? I foolishly assumed that stainless wasn't appropraite for them.
Just like Weber make their cooking grates in stainless or plate but their fire grates in steel - just use a larger gauge.
For the record I'm not a Johnson fan, far from it, just an honest query.
Nemesis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:58 am    

I dont know if any of them were ever purported to be stainless, but I do know I have never seen one that didnt rust away prematurely.

BTW, for comparison purposes, my KK lump basket IS stainless, and it has not a bit of rust on it anywhere, after more than a year of use. My POSK lumpsaver will shed rust in big flakes. So SS does seem to be appropriate for a firebox/basket, but RJ chose to cut this corner too.

You brought up a good observation, James. Weber charcoal grates are not stainless either. But nor do they rust away like the Johnson garbage. I have a Weber grill, at least a couple of years older than my K5. It has been sitting neglected for a couple of years longer than my K5. Later this week, I will take the grate out of it, and we can compare the $18 Weber metal to the Kamado metal. I know the cooking grate has lost its chrome plate, and shows some rust (after about 4 years of non use), but NOTHING like the Kamado stuff. I think the heavier steel charcoal grate in the bottom still looks pretty good. I'll post pictures here for comparison.

Go figure... a $150 metal grill is outlasting the POSK in resisting the elements Confused Why is the POSK metal so more rust prone than the Weber stuff??
Johnnyboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:28 pm    

Talking about Stainless; I sold an almost new SS Members Mark NG to my neighbor for the arrival of my K.

Damn Members Mark still looks new, nice shiny stainless, and it still operates like new.

I always thought stainless was stainless; but obviously not! My POSK SS is rusted, his Members Mark isn't. What gives? Is there such thing as a "knock off" SS?
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:41 pm    

I imagine if you google stainless steel, you'll learn that there are all different grades and types of SS. In addition, if the SS is contaminated with carbon, it can deteriorate. I'm sure there is a metal expert out there, but absolutely, there is good SS and there is cheap SS. Richard Johnson uses cheap SS.
DavidS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:42 pm    

Try the magnet test.
Place a magnet on the stainless steel if it sticks is NOT high grade stainless.
If it falls off and does not stick it is good stainless like Dennis uses in his KK's
. Smile
jamesmb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:34 am    

Careful about the magnet test too. I have some high grade stainless knives that stick to my magnetic knife rack. I have some stainless bar that has been welded and the magnet sticks near the weld but not elsewhere.
I'm sure when you deal with the "lower end" suppliers the material isn't in spec and so doesn't perform.
primeats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:35 pm    

I've got a MM gasser too, before I got my KK, it's made of 304 stainless, the same as KK,and non magnetic. Some of my SS sinks and work tables are made of 303 stainless, magnetic and will actually pit and spot rust if we use too much bleach for the sanitizing process.( the gasser was a replacement of another gasser,before I even heard of K or KK. A very large tree limb fell on it one night. I was in distress for about ten seconds untill I realized-hey I'm getting a new grill! My ever resourcefull wife promptly sold the old unit on Ebay, some guy paid 15 bucks for it and was ecstatic, I later apologized to my wife for doubting her marketing skills.)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Hall of Shame All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: