Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Mold in my K!!!???!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:28 pm    

Mold in my K!!!???!!!

Quote:

Rosscoe
Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 3:05 pm:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Yeah, I know. It's probably my fault for not kooking enough but I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this. After sitting for a few months, I went to open my K-5 and noticed a lot of mold growing on the inside of the dome and generally all over. I'm wondering if I have developed a gap between the lid and the base or if it's the Kingsford charcoal that I've been using holds moisture. It's easy enough to clean: get a really hot fire and burn it off. Just a pain to waste the charcoal to do that. Anyone else run into this?

Tomz
Associate Member
Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 9:48 pm:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
I had that problem before. You might solve this problem by leaving the K open for an hour or two after the charcoals have been completely extinguished. This should get rid of the
I was wondering if the possible cause of the mold could be from uncured portland cement or kracks letting moisture in Question
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:41 pm    

Senario of the first cook.

Quote:
Pipepeddler
Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 7:38 pm:

Senario of the first cook. I fired my K off and raised the temperature up to 200+. I had a heck of a time getting my Kamado above 200 during the break-in period. I put my eleven pound picnic ham on @ 22:30. I went to bed and awoke around 02:30. I went out to take a peek. The temperature on the gauge read 150. At that point, the ham was in the process of becoming crispy on the outer two inches. I shut the Kamado down to 1/4"opening on the bottom and 3/4 turn on the top. I went back to bed and woke up at 08:30. Upon checking my Kamado, I discovered I had a blackened ham!
I had to move towards option B - cooking another ham on my Steel BBQ pit as I had company coming later in the afternoon.
Just 4-1/2 hours later I was set.
That afternoon, my wife was observing the temperature gauge on my Kamado and was able to push it in to the grove on the stem. I had previously pushed the gauge in as far as I could.
If the temperature gauge was reading as low as it seems, I cured my Kamado for 26 hours at a high temperature.
What kind of damage would this inflict? When vacuuming out the ashes, I noticed a chunk of mortar came loose from the bottom 1-1/2"in diameter and 3/8"thick.
I am of the opinion after paying what a Kamado cost, I would have received a better instruction book and a recipe book. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading the forum but....I am still a little perturbed right now. Hopefully, this will be an isolated incident and I can move forward without having to utilize option B in the future.
Heck if I really wanted to blacken something I would catch some redfish off the pier!
All B.S. aside, I am concerned about the temperature during the curing process. I did not observe steam or moisture bubbling. I consider that a positive sign. Thanks for letting me vent.
PipePeddler
I was looking at ham recipes when I came across this old post. I thought I would share it since it's kinda funny. I also noticed that people were even posting on Christmas Eve and Day. Now they can't even sell charcoal worthy enough to fill a Christmas stocking. That company is such a mess.
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:11 am    

Yes. the forum is quite dead now. Only a few folks who can't come to grips with reality (like lah-de-dah Bobh) still keep trying to keep it alive. Once in a while Deborah seems to wake up and post pictures to make readers think she is always cooking merrily away on her K, but that's about it. I wonder if the Johnsons even own any of their own cookers. That might be where they got the one or two they claim to have shipped in the last quarter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: