Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Help!-crumbling Kamado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grillz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:18 am    

Help!-crumbling Kamado

I have called Kamado and e-mailed them with no replies. They never gave me an invoice when I originally bought my #7 in 2000. Do I have any shot of getting this replaced? Any tips?
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:46 am    

Welcome.......

Is your POSK tiled or textured? Also what size is it? Can you post some pictures? I have some inexpensive repair ideas that I'll share with you. I just completely disasembled mine and rebuilt it. Crack repairs, paint, cleaning etc. You aren't going to get any help from Richard and it's not worth the frustration anyway. Hey it's lasted about nine years, you can be thankful for that.
Grillz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:33 am    

It is tiled. It is a number 7 size. I'd appreciate any advice you can give. I have pictures but am not sure how to post them.
Grillz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:37 am    

The top damper rods rusted off & then the neck just below the damper is totally crumbling away.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:42 am    

Grillz wrote:
The top damper rods rusted off & then the neck just below the damper is totally crumbling away.

Easy Fix - a hose clamp and a ceramic dish!

Len

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:21 am    

The bees knees ! Wink
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:36 pm    

Good suggestion!

The hose clamp is a good idea. I am also thinking that a daisy wheel from a large or XL big green egg might work as a little more of a permanent fix? Here's a tip to improve any ceramic cooker, put a gasket on the top vent. I added one to my POSK and my egg. It really helps and eliminates the need for the ceramic top on the egg for shut down. Wink
BeDummy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:24 pm    

Fix-it-all with Rutland Furnace Cement (maybe)

I wonder-would Rutland Furnace cement work to permanently fasten a metal daisy-wheel-type damper to the top of a POSK?

d* b(lookin' to the future)
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 pm    

Re: Fix-it-all with Rutland Furnace Cement (maybe)

BeDummy wrote:
I wonder-would Rutland Furnace cement work to permanently fasten a metal daisy-wheel-type damper to the top of a POSK?

d* b(lookin' to the future)

Well i'm not sure why you would want to permanently fasten it. I have a couple of ideas. Drill four holes around the "Daisy Wheel" and add screws to snug it on. Don't overtighten the screws remember it's a POSK. I would also add a gasket around the top like Dennis did on the KK. At least then you could remove it to clean it. That should also help in shutting it down. Otherwise add plenty of Rutland on top and set it on tight. That should hold it pretty well if that's what you really want. My concern with that is that after a while it might start to crumble like the rest of the unit and get on the food. Out of curiosity does the daisy wheel fit well and what size "K" is it? There are a lot of people with broken "K"necks out there.
BeDummy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:19 pm    

Well, Un-

My POS#5 is still (knock on portland) structurally intact so far. I'm just cringing at all the broke-neck pics I see here and planning ahead if,forbid,mine ever gets in that shape.
I've been *scrupulous* about keeping the main screw clean and oiled-it's seasoned like a cast-iron skillet. Good old stale extra virgin olive oil has done the trick so far. Just drizzle or spray on while heating up for a grilling.
One of the reasons I went with the POSK in the first place was that the damper top was connected to the dome. I've seen many Eggers and Primo-istas send their tops flying when they opened the lid with a little too much oomph.
Surely somewhere someone has glued that sucker on...

d*b(better mousetrap design 'R us)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: