Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

More reasons not to buy a kamado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Problems with Richard J
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:03 am    

More reasons not to buy a kamado

Quote:
Elwood
Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 3:48 pm:

Hi Bobh, I just read the post by Richard Johnson where he suggests that a Kamado owner apply the new M63D to the inside and to other areas every 2-3 years. It sounds like nurturing to me. Is the M63D a free product that comes as part of the lifetime warranty maintenance? Is it only needed for the older models. I notice that he refers to these cookers as ceramic. But I heard SurfinSapo say it was cement. Are the newer models ceramic? I am asking you because I would like to know if you use M63D every few years to maintain your Kamado? I'm a little confused. Does the company supply it to you for free? I would like to know these things before I make any large purchase. I am really not sure if I want to send money every few years for maintenance products. Besides the long wait SnakeRiver Kirk is going through has me a little squeamish. Summer is almost over and I haven't had one person reply to my thread about new Kamado pictures. Are these even still being made? Where's the new shipment at? I am still interested in purchasing so any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Cg_cooker
Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 3:17 pm:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
>>Please email me for more M63D information, details, application and pictures. Thanks, <<

Please consider posting the information to the forum so those of us who are considering purchasing a Kamado can decide, before the purchase, if this is a procedure we are willing to follow and an additional expense we are willing to bear.

Richardj
Post Number: 2499
Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 5:34 pm:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Cg_cooker,

Please email me the specific type of use you would intend and I will be happy to post the information. Such as:
1. Commercial or private use?
2. How often will the Kamado be used? Approximate hours? Year round? Summer? etc.
3. What size Kamado?
4. What temperature range?
5. New Kamado or older (used) Kamado?
6. Whether you think ANY maintenance or preventive maintenance would be reasonable and if so, how much time or money would you think reasonable?
7. Your specific questions.

Depending upon the above answers or any particular questions you might have, I can give you a reasonable estimate. The answer might be from none to a few pounds every 2 or 3 years. VERY few of our 15,000 or more of our new Kamado owners have EVER used M63 or my earlier M61 or M62. My experience in the M's come mainly from those using Meridian for the last 20 plus years.
Thanks in advance for emailing me your answers/questions.

Kamados are made from cement. Now rj is pitching a lifetime insurance policy for himself by making people think they need these stupid "M" products to maintain a future oversized ash tray. Buy an egg and save youself a lifetime of his BS.
curly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:50 am    

Redicules questions

He's tripping again!

Please email me the specific type of use you would intend and I will be happy to post the information. Such as:

OK, this may be a legitimate question to an owner
2. How often will the Kamado be used? Approximate hours? Year round? Summer? etc.
Who ever knows, you buy a cooker, get in a kult and everything changes, does that change your warrenty, no, (can't take that warrenty away, cause welll it ain't there to begin with) but it will change your out of pocket money for yearly maintenance!
3. What size Kamado?
Apparantly size does matter, at least in a Kamado yearly maintenance. It's like he planned this all along, Selling that M63 krapado By The Pound. He is truly a genius.
4. What temperature range?
So, up front you have to know this. I guess to those who only do low-n-slows the maintenance costs will be less.
5. New Kamado or older (used) Kamado?
Yes, his Kamados are like his koal, depending on when/where it was made, it may just fall apart on it's on. But maybe enough layers of this stuff will hold it together. But mind you, over the years as you apply this goop, the inside of your K is getting smaller. Eventually there will be no inside, it will simply be solid!
6. Whether you think ANY maintenance or preventive maintenance would be reasonable and if so, how much time or money would you think reasonable?
If I think it's unreasonable will you be able to get me a K that doesn't need any? If I think a lot is reasonable will you give me a K that needs a lot?
7. Your specific questions.
What's the maintenenace regimen for every size. assume we will cook at all levels of heat...duhhhhhh
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:59 am    

As usual it is necessary to point out that RJ has not sold 15,000 of his konkrete kookers, period. I think 100 per year would be an overly-generous estimate.
The Spanker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:47 am    

curly wrote:
He's tripping again!

OK, this may be a legitimate question to an owner

Bullshit. On at least two levels.

1) There is no commercial use of his cookers. If there were, he would splash examples all over his website and newsletters. That's not to say that an occasional resort or country club doesn't use one as eye candy on a buffet but that's a far cry from the kitchen mainstay he keeps implying.

Prove me wrong, Dickweed... name a few stateside restaurants that use the K in such a manner and, after we verify they're in regular commercial use, I'll issue a retraction if it's legit.

2) Even if there were K's in use in a commercial setting... why should that affect the wear and tear? There are plenty of ceramic cooker fans that use their cookers many times throughout the week. Either the cooker can withstand charcoal fire temperatures or it can't. Doesn't matter if it's homemade pizza for your kids or $3.00 BBQ sandwiches for the lunch crowd.

When I buy a concrete birdbath, the nurseryman doesn't ask if it's for a commercial application.
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:42 pm    

My guess is that what he is saying is that he wants your konkrete kooker lined with his pricey Mxx mixture so that you won't see the konkrete crumble before your very eyes. What his statement implies is that Mxx is not all that it is kracked up to be. It will fail with use just like the konkrete that he uses for the kooker. So, the more you use it, the faster the Mxx layer will fail and thus the more often you will have to replace the failing layer of Mxx. So, if you keep laying out $100 every couple of years for a bucket of Mxx, you may protect the konkrete from the fire (remember that portland cement is NOT capable of withstanding high temperatures) and make your kooker last a little longer. Also remember that his konkrete kookers are the ONLY kookers on the market that require this pricey add-on layer to be applied by the customer in order to delay the failure of the material used in the kooker.
Gerard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:45 pm    

Richard Johnson wrote:

Of course it's reasonable to expect some maintenance requirements. Specifically the list in this archived Kamado Owners Manual c.2002, seems very reasonable:

Kamado Owners Manual wrote:
CARE AND MAINTENANCE

Ash Removal: The ashes are removed through the draft door opening. They are safely retained inside the base of the Kamado, below the firebox. Ashes are removed every few months with a shop vacuum or small scoop. A high “mound” of ash in the center of the Kamado can affect high temperature performance.

Cleaning: The walls of the Kamado are "self cleaning". You never have to clean the walls of grease or any basting you might have done. Do not clean the walls of the Kamado with a brush, as it will abrade the ceramic material.

Periodically coat the grill with oil to keep it “seasoned” and to ensure that food does not stick to the grill. The grill can be cleaned with a grill brush.

The exterior of the Kamado can be cleaned with a towel and water. Some owners claim that a vinegar/water solution is good for brightening tile.

Lubrication of Components: Oil the hinges and props to minimize corrosion and to provide easy operation. You should also lubricate the draft door runners and the damper rod with vegetable oil or “Pam” to ensure that these components do not corrode. If you do not plan to use your Kamado for some period of time, grease the draft door runners and the damper rod so that they will not corrode and stick shut. If you live in an area of high humidity or heavy rain, consider putting a light coat of oil or polish on all exterior metal surfaces, including stainless steel.

Tightening of Bolts: Periodically check the tightness of the bolts holding the bands together to ensure the bands remain in their proper positions. You may also want to tighten the bolt and nut for the handle and the lower draft door; however, remember these components are ceramic and may crack with too much compression.

Covering: There is no need to cover the Kamado but you may wish to cover it or store it inside for the winter in extreme northern climates.

Tile Replacement: We can provide additional tiles in case you accidentally chip or crack a tile. The tile can be carefully cut out using a hammer and a small chisel or a screwdriver.

Painting the Bands: Painted bands can be repainted in place. Simply mask off the Kamado and use a product like Rust -Oleum to repaint the bands. Use care in preventing overspray.

Don't see nuttin' bout no M goo. Maybe it was just in the Commercial Kamado Owners Manual?

Nor do I see anything about needing to seal the grout, replace the grout, replace the spider, or replace several square feet of tile.

Strange the way the maintenance requirements keep getting longer. Say, RJ, you wouldn't be adding to the maintenance requirements list in an attempt to cover up major design and manufacturing flaws, now would you?
Chirogyro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:51 pm    

Even more interesting is the continually channging "lifetime warranty" wording... It started out in 1999-2000 as a pretty broadly worded warranty... Now almost nothing is considered as "covered under warranty".

Way to go Richard, you miserable prick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Problems with Richard J All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: