Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Aqua green #5, need tips on minor repairs. Newbie, sshhh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KamadyKooking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:26 pm    

Aqua green #5, need tips on minor repairs. Newbie, sshhh

I was suckered into buying a #5 in 2005. Some spots on the inside - the thin ceramic lining have chipped away. A couple of months back I was trying to re-adjust* the steel bands so it would seal better, while doing this I managed to knock off a row of tiles under the bottom band along both sides. Still didn't achieve a good lid seal.

--So what do I use for re-lining?
--What do I use for tile resetting?
--If I skrape out the old lining then whats best to mortar up the inside Kracking on the Portland cement. <The high heat mortar in the tube? Does the tube stuff work good on putting a better seal on the bottom damper? It might look like krap, but can I use it to make a better seal where the paper test fails - alongside the Nomex strip? Is there something that works better for lid sealing?

I was able to successfully re-mortar both top and bottom dampers that were coming loose, but I can't find the fireplace mortar that I used at the stores anymore. The only bad point on this mortar type was that the black paste turned light gray after a few grillings. Overall my Kamado has held up better than most. No cracks on the outside. Tiles haven't fallen off, except by my hand. It's been well protected under a covered outdoor area and a BBQ cover to.

What is Thinset, I've heard that word tossed around. Is there a high temp variety? Stores don't sell that in smaller quantities do they? It's just a few tiles.

* Ahh! Fond memories of that 11 page manual on lid adjusting.

Someone needs to post a how to guide on Kamado repairing. <The most common problems. And then pin it at the top. This forum says 'Repairs' after all. Just an observation from a newbie who was previously lurking for these answers. That would be easier than using search words or reading several threads.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:51 am    

Re: Aqua green #5, need tips on minor repairs. Newbie, sshhh

Sorry for the long delay, KamadyKooking. I assumed someone might jump in long before me, but I'll give it a shot. Wink

Quote:
So what do I use for re-lining?

Nothing. Use a wire brush to knock off the loose stuff and just leave it.

Quote:
What do I use for tile resetting?

Acrylic tile adhesive. Found at home depot. Excellent adhesion and flexibility. Then just grout with the generic colored grout you find at HD- sanded or unsanded hasn't seemed to matter. Works great. My complete retile has lasted years with no problems. Too bad RJ didn't do it properly in the first place. And for godssake don't go ordering his latest M6X incarnation.

Quote:
If I skrape out the old lining then whats best to mortar up the inside Kracking on the Portland cement.

Just leave it be.

Quote:
Does the tube stuff work good on putting a better seal on the bottom damper?

Use some 1/4" adhesive backed foam weather stripping on the bottom damper. Easy to hide, makes a fine seal, lasts for years, and is low-cost.

Quote:
Is there something that works better for lid sealing?

For the lid, when the bands are adjusted as best you can get (which is rarely that good), Run a thick bead of black high-temp RTV silicone around the bottom lip. Lay wax paper over it, close the lid. Wait 12-24 hours. Lift the lid, peel away wax paper-- voila - custom gasket. Usually I get a lot of wax paper that won't come away, so it just burns off eventually. Silicon is available at your auto parts store. Here's a pic from someone that used the copper color variety:

You could also find some ceramic gasket material, like for an oven, and use the hi-temp silicon to glue it down. The silicon alone has always worked for me, but is not necessarily attractive.

Quote:
What is Thinset, I've heard that word tossed around. Is there a high temp variety? Stores don't sell that in smaller quantities do they? It's just a few tiles.

Acrylic adhesive first, then the grout... just regular basic grout for tile.

Quote:
Someone needs to post a how to guide on Kamado repairing. <The most common problems. And then pin it at the top. This forum says 'Repairs' after all. Just an observation from a newbie who was previously lurking for these answers. That would be easier than using search words or reading several threads.

Excellent suggestion. As time allows...

Wink

Welcome to the forum.
Chirogyro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:58 am    

Michael's Quick Repair guide for Kamado woes (Kamadoes?):

Materials needed:
Beer
Kamado (any age or condition)
Sledge hammer.

Instructions:

Depending on your problem, you will want to use either #1 or #2 below:

#1 : Lubricate hammer holder with beer.
#2 : Remove structural integrity of cement "kooker" with sledge hammer.

Repeat.

Note: This will fix ALL kamado problems that have been reported to date.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: