Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

rehabilitating a big green egg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:26 pm    

rehabilitating a big green egg

A couple weeks ago I sort of inherited a 1971 type M Kamado. It was used alot til about ten years ago and lived outside sinse new. The top damper is missing and I have used High temp bonding cement and metal staples to repair a double break in the side of the base ( ten inches of the rim was broken into two 5x5x5 triangles ) Fired it up and did some steaks,Interesting.
So where can I get a top damper , it would be 5' Inside diameter?
A new 15 or 16 inch grate would be nice. Also do I need a rim gasket ? the one on it ,now destryed was thin , >1/16 th.
BTW the material seems like terra cotta. Is the cooking in a kamado better than a regular bbq ? Regards Gage
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:15 pm    

Hi Gage

What is a type M kamado? If you have a picture or could explain I might be able to help. I rebuilt an old 60's model with pictures somewhere here.
Usually Big Green Egg parts will fit the old units. The BGE daisy wheel for the damper will work good. I also added a grill from an 18 inch weber. Good luck. Smile
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:23 pm    

Here's an oldie for $50!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/app/1313916177.html
gage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:53 pm    

Mine looks like the one in " UNBEILIVABLE's )post ,,mostly tan coloured with the green very faded. The original owners brochure has two main types : L M and S then the real egg shaped ones were # 0 through #5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: