Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

I guess I was lucky, but need help now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gkhanson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:12 am    

I guess I was lucky, but need help now

I bought my Kamado, #7 with blue tile, a number of years ago. Perhaps in 2001 or before. A former brother-in-law had bought one and supposedly done research and recommended it to me. I've been cooking on it many times since, and have loved it, singing its praises. In this time, Richard has sent me replacement bands, replacement air draft opening and an extra grille surface. I have recently noticed that some tiles, when tapped, have a hollow sound. I'm sure they will come off before long. But that's not my problem. A few nights ago, my firebox caved in. The bottom of the cooking space fell into the ash trap at the bottom. There was a jagged edge where it separated.

My problem is this: I'm retiring in a year or so to a place where I cannot grill. Thus, I have no wish to upgrade to a Kamodo Kamado. Even a BGE seems a bit expensive for a year or so's use. The walls of my Kamado, the outside ones anyway, seem sturdy enough. I'd like to jury rig the Kamado by suspending the fire box somehow. Needless to say, I have gotten no response from Kamado, despite sending pix and several emails.

How long has the company been this bad? Any suggestions for jury rig?
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:03 am    

Hi, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I would try and find a collander or strainer made from stainless steel and not screen. First take an inside measurement of you firebox. Then go down to a restaurant supply store to see what they have that would fit in. I have also seen these at bed bath and beyond stores, they just may not be big enough though. The cool thing about these is you can just shake out the ash before your next cook. The small holes save a lot of charcoal. I still use one myself regularly and have never had a problem with ash clogging. Please send some pictures if possible, that would be the best way to really understand the problem. Another idea posted by Admin was the little old Weber Smokey Joe set inside. If you have one laying around that would also be worth a try. Good luck and enjoy your retirement. Wink
Fetzervalve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:26 pm    

Where are you going that you can't grill?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:12 pm    

I still say put a smokey joe down inside - instant firebox.
Hot Rod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:03 am    

Do you have any pictures?

Hey guys, I can visualize the smokey joe in position as a fire box but how do you control the air flow? Seems it would be difficult to adjust when in position in Kamado or is there a way to keep the vents wide open for air flow (drill additional holes maybe?). Could you please explain. I may have to try this in the future.

Thanks
Hot Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: