Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Who has the best advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Customer Service Nightmares
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:41 am    

Who has the best advice?

The problem:

Quote:
Mike_b

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 7:06 pm:

Hi gang. I need some terminology cleared up for me because I'm not sure if I am telling customer support what I need correctly.

I have a mosiac #7. I need 2 replacement pieces.

Piece #1) The roughly 12 inch diameter, 3 inch thick ROUND "disk" that has the holes in it that the charcoal sits directly on top of. That's all I need on piece 1. Mine has cracked all to pieces due to me dropping it. My fault.

Customer service is calling this a "firebox" and I'm just not so sure that is correct. Nothing else is cracked or needs to be replaced. Just the thick disk with air holes in it. That's all I need.

The reason I am question the "firebox" terminology is because I recieved an invoice (thank you) and the firebox itself is no charge...(again, thank you).....but the Shipping and handling comes out to about $72.00.

That seems excessive to me for a not so heavy part??? *IF* the terminology of firbox is correct for what I need, and that's the right price, NO PROBLEM. But asking a question never hurt.

Piece 2)
I need a replacement "knob" that goes on the bottom draft door.
I screwed it back on too tightly one day and it cracked. My fault. But what do you call that piece? A "draft door knob?" Lol

It should be noted, that BOTH PIECES needing to be replaced are a direct result of ME. NOT KAMADO. I dropped the "charcoal plate" and it shattered. I screwed the knob on too tight and it cracked. Both my bad.

Sooooooo.......is the terminology correct? If so, does that shipping price sound right? I'm in North Carolina, United States. Seems high. Just curious.

And, before I go ahead and order these parts, I have read about a "new" "firebox??" Is that something I should look into? And why?

Thanks Guys.

$72 just for shipping!!!! Shocked

The solutions:

Solution 1: Order something ELSE from Kamado--

Quote:
Alibubba

Posted on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 8:52 pm:

Don't order the "thick disk with air holes in it". Order the lumpsaver for far better heat & fuel management, as well as it being unbreakable.

Solution 2: Order something else from Kamado. (Okay, this is the same as solution 1, with some "RJ stroking" included).

Quote:
Bobh

Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 5:12 am:

Mike, I am sure that Richard will chime in here to clarify the terminology you need, but in the meantime if you will click on the link below, and scroll down the page to a description of the Kamado parts (about half way down the page). There, you will see a picture of something called the firebox, and it does show the disk with the holes in it. I do not know if this is a one or more piece contraption though. Also, I would look into the lumpsaver (which is what I have) or the new rod firebox that Kamado has come up with. A picture of the lumpsaver can be seen at the second link. BTW, if you decide to go with the lumpsaver you will, (I believe) completely eliminate the firebox in your K. The Lumpsaver is made of 1/4 inch cold rolled steel rods and will last 3-4 years. IIRC, a replacement including shipping will run you about $75 and is (IMO) at that price a bargain. Richard is considering making it of 3/8 inch rods, which would extend the life of the lumpsaver by probably 50% or more. (Of course it would also cost more too)

As an aside, I took my new one to a fabricator locally to see what it would cost me to have one made from 3/8 rod and he said it would take 4-5 hours to make and he charges $65 per hour for his labor.

Oh wait, he doesn't want a lumpsaver.

Quote:
Mike_b
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 8:13 am:

Alibubba, I had the lumpsaver. I did not like it. *shrugs*

Bobh, yes, thank you...The link you posted with the description of "firebox" leads me to believe that the $72.00 for shipping is for that WHOLE thing. The firebox Is in reality, TWO pieces.

I don't need the whole firebox. Maybe someone from Kamado will come along shortly and clarify this.

I need the disk, and I need a draft door knob. $72.00 for shipping seems off to me, unless they intend to send me the whole thing. I'll wait and see. Never did like the lumpsaver much. Call me old fashioned I guess. Smile

Solution 3: Home depot.

Quote:
Yazoo
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 9:30 am:

Hi Mike_b,

Here is the answer to your problem.

#1) Go to home depot and buy a small weber charcoal grate for under $10. They work amazingly well.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100657895/h_d2/ProductDis play?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

#2) While you are at home depot, buy yourself a $3 knob in the cabinet section.

Voila! For under $15 you are up and running.

Steve

I dunno Mike, I'd put my money on Home Depot.

Shocked
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:12 am    

I like Yazoo's idea best. Also the round stainless steel vegetable basket aka "Huck Wok" at HD works well. Deal with johnson and take it in the wazoo every time. Smile
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:02 pm    

Quote:
Richelle_j
Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 10:32 am:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Hello Mike,
You are correct you do not need a "fire box" you need a fire GRATE. Which weighs 12 lbs so unlike the fire box which weighs 55 lbs the shipping would be significantly lower. Also we have teak wood draft door knobs available or you can do what Yazoo suggested and purchase a cabinet knob as well. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Richelle

Mike_b
Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 10:42 am:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Thank you Richelle. You sent me an invoice for a firebox.....could you possibly send another one for a FIRE GRATE? (#7)

my email is concretefire@hotmail.com and I live in Charlotte NC. Zip is 28214

Also, I will do as Yazoo says on the knob thing.
Thank you so much everyone. Very happy Kamado customer. 30+ yrs and counting.

Richardj
Post Number: 2557
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 11:50 am:

Thanks all for answering Mike_b's question. The picture on our website is obsolete as our fireboxes are in two pieces. One is the "firebox" and the other is "grate" (the disc with holes in it) that fits in the center of the firebox.

By the way, M63D will fix the firebox and grate if all the pieces are there or better yet......use M63D before any problems.

Mike_b
Post Number: 288
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 12:45 pm:

Thanks Richardj. I have already hard "wired" the pieces back together and am using it. Works fine. I've been using your product a long time. When the new one arrives I will keep the wired one as backup.

What can I say? I'm just a perfectionist. That's why I use your product.

1. That fire grate weighs in at 12 pounds! I would use the Yazoo method.

2. I found it funny that his email is concrete fire.

3. Isn't it just like a johnson to try and make money off of a faithful 30 year kustomer by pushing his m product on him.

4. Yeah, johnsons products have been proven perfect. Rolling Eyes

Now let's see just how long it takes him to get that one simple part. Let me guess, it's on backorder and might be on the next ship. He should just take Yazoo's advice and go to HD.
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:17 pm    

He has to be kidding!

Quote:
Richardj
Post Number: 2558
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 2:11 pm:

Thanks Mike-b for the comment. You know, I like to be a perfectionist also.....maybe why that is why our production is so slow??
His writing sure doesn't indicate perfection. Rolling Eyes
curly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:22 am    

Yeah, that's it RJ...it's that "perfect" that you add to the product that slows it down Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Customer Service Nightmares All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: