Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Gifted a broken #7
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:23 pm    

no, its all cement. I can tell from the rubble i pulled out of it.
its simply the Canadian winters that take their toll.
any crack that holds water will become a huge gap when the frost does its thing.
our roads take a real shit kicking.
Gerard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:07 pm    

I was kidding about the plaster. Razz But it really does appear to be in layers in your photo. Can't say I've ever seen that.

I have no doubt that the repeated freeze thaw cycles are brutal. Nonetheless, I'm not prepared to let RJ off the hook on this one... these were marketed for many years as not needing any protection from the elements. In fact... the whole concept of covering the precious piece of "yard art" was ridiculed by him.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:18 pm    

I would definitely use Rutland's for this project. You can get it through Amazon.com:
Rutlands Furnace Cement

You might do this in stages. What I would do: Take a wire brush and/or a flathead screwdriver to all the loose/cracked areas to get rid of anything loose. Pack the Rutland's into all cracks and gaps and the large patches to 1cm thick. Then start a fire it the K and let it bake. Then do another layer and build it up in stages. The Rutland's expands a little, so you want to bring it up to level in stages, I think.

The Rutland's, after being heated/cured, becomes rock hard. I do believe it is the best thing for you to use with that much space to fill. It will improve the integrity of the unit overall. Strong stuff.

I'd love to see pictures of the project. Here are a couple links to Rutland projects:
Cracked in Half
New Spin Top

Rutland's might even repair that spin top.

Good luck, man.

Wink
Barry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:21 pm    

yeah, but do you really think its worth it to pursue the matter?
obviously the concrete is substandard. I'll bash the guy and his co. along with the best of them but I honestly don't think I'll ever get any compensation form him/them.
I mean, I cannot even get access to their forum they have no idea who I am or what I'd say at this point.
all I want now, is a cooker that I can use.
I'll strip the entire top to bare concrete and rebuild it if I have to.
If you think about it, reinforced concrete should stand the test of time no matter the environment. our overpasses are made of the same stuff and only fail when the salt added to roads works its way into the re-bar and forces that to corrode and expand to break the concrete. This should not fail.
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:57 pm    

Nice pictures Barry. Man, that is a project and could be a poster child for the Hall of Shame. RJ hit a new low with this one. I think you should give it a go since the price was right.

Good advice with the Rutlands and applying it in stages.

I guess this means we aren't going to endorse M-63D? Wink
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:56 am    

thanks for the advice Admin.
I'll definitely look for Rutlands instead of using the generic stuff I just bought.
I'm afraid to remove ALL the loose stuff for fear of not having enough left to support the structure.
do you think I should go ahead and do that? or patch what I have now them remove more?
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:27 am    

I was looking at the Rutland website.
I think this might be a better product to fill the large voids I have.

http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=22
Castable Refractory Cement
Originally developed for use in blast furnaces, it has exceptional strength and abrasion resistance. It is ideal for casting into custom shapes to replace worn-out firebrick. When the dry material is mixed with water, it chemically sets and dries brick hard. It can be cast into irregular shapes, used to fill large holes or cracks in masonry firebox, or as a solid stone bed. May be used in outdoor fire pits. 12.5 lbs. casts a block 12" x 12" x 1 1/4". Light brown when cured.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:54 am    

Barry wrote:
I was looking at the Rutland website.
I think this might be a better product to fill the large voids I have.

http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=22
Castable Refractory Cement

I agree, that stuff looks perfect. Regarding the loose stuff, I would brush/scrape off anything that is ready to fall off, i.e. hanging by a thread. I would NOT pry. Just dust it off and then pack on the Rutland's. I think you made a good find there with the Castable Refractory Cement.
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:18 am    

Yeah I agree.
I found a place that can get it. ordered a bucket.
I'll take pictures as I go and update you guys.
Porkchop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:58 am    

first off, that is some crazy damage. ever see "life after people" on history channel? they talk about stuff like water and weather doing damage over time, and that's exactly what that looks like. i have a mexi-k as well, but no tiles, so nothing for water to soak into/under and freeze. also, that damper rod is defo NOT stainless; mine is seized with rust. i've tried everything with no luck at all.

i would question whether or not what remains has enough structural integrity to make such repairs worth the time or money. will you repair it just to have the other side of the cooker fall apart and have to do it all over again? you handy guys will have to answer that one.

but, if you're just wanting a "cooker that cooks", if your time and effort exceeds $75 or so, cut your losses and get a weber kettle! $200 gets you a WSM, which is used by many winning pitmasters. or dig a hole in the ground; or, if you really wanna cook with "ceramics", do what the quebecers do...

http://www.jeffreywarnock.com/

i've been wanting to make one of these cobb ovens myself, but, like i said, am hampered by my lack of constructural expertise...

if you're doing it just to see if you can rescue this poor cooker, good luck. if it were me, i'd just put it out of it's misery. Sad i suppose if you ditched the dome, it'd make a nice little firepit, or open grill for hotdogs and roasted marshmallows. or a HUGE birdbath...
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:04 pm    

i ordered some Rutlands.
I am concerned that there may not be enough remaining of the original lid and how rotten that remainder is under the tiles. but for $40 worth of materials its worth a shot.
booker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:30 pm    

have you made any progress on your project?
Barry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:50 pm    

yes!
I have the concrete all patched up with refractory concrete.
its solid again. Smile
I forgot to wipe off the excess on the tiles so it looks a mess. I need to find a way to buff that off. then I'll take pictures
rockdawg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:00 pm    

You are going to need a fine scraper. Maybe one that mounts a box cutter blade. Once Rutlands starts to cure, it's rock hard and not water soluble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: