Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Making the Best of a Bad Situation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whovous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:50 pm    

Making the Best of a Bad Situation

My #5 is about four years old. I suspect I am better off than most of you. I have not lost any tiles, and I do not have any major cracks.

On the other hand, my gas burner is getting rustier all the time, which means that at some point in the future I will need to delete the gas option, which will still leave me with something that works.

More important is that the main grate is now so rusty that I am not willing to put any kind of food directly on it. I've tried scrubbing with a wire brush, and it seems to always stay orange.

I have tried to buy replacment parts, and Tony has at least answered the phone each time I called. On the other hand, the promised follow-up never materialized, and I am tired of listening to his stories. I'd like to find another way to get the remaining life out of this product.

Can anyone tell me how to do one or both of the following?
1. Get the rust completely off of the grate? Is there a rust removal product I can use?
2. Replace the grill with someone else's product? It needs to be round, have the right diameter, and a 'door' that opens to accept more fuel. Surprisingly, Google has not been my friend in this search. Weber makes lots of round grates, for example, but I have to find one that is the right size.

Help, please
dwebb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:32 pm    

I'm sorry, can't you just go out and buy a new cast iron grate or other grate from another company? You don't need any door to 'accept more fuel' as you can load it up plenty for a 20+ hour cook.

BTW it's an 18" grid, available anywhere.
whovous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:30 pm    

The terms "available anywhere" and "I live in DC" do not play nice with each other. I've had luck finding all sorts of wrong sizes, but none that will actually fit my grill. I had it in my head that it was a 19" grid, and Google was not producing good results at all. Searches for "18 grid" did no better.

However, you got me fiddling with other terms, and I have managed to find a few 18" items, with some specifically stating they fit the Big Green Egg and "other" ceramic cookers. I guess ours now qualify as "other." "18 inch grill" seems to be the term, not grid.

So far, however, I have not found one with the opening "door" for adding fuel. Still, I now at least have some Google ideas that seem to be moving in the right direction and, if all else fails, I guess one with no 'door' will still be better than the rusty mess that is there now.
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:13 pm    

If you are really serious don't beg kamado, call this guy.
He will make whatever you want. Let us know how it goes. Smile

http://huntingdoncountycustoms.com/
whovous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:27 pm    

Now that is very cool.
Gerard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:30 pm    

Likewise, I bet these guys could make a replacement grill in a jiffy.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=co m_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=54

I know they do custom work and I have several pieces from them and it's obvious they take pride in their craftsmanship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: