Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

"Firebowl"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:03 pm    

"Firebowl"

1. Here is the "Firebowl" that I made from a $5 stainless large steel mixing bowl from Wall-Mart. Just take it out, shake the ash out, refill and re-insert. I think the lumpsavers waste too much charcoal and you can't utilize the fines. It would be perfect if someone could invent one that was thick fine mesh screen. Strainers or collanders work well but you need to find the right size.

2.Here it is inserted in the firebox. It could probably use a few side vent holes. I need to get the right drill bit since it's really hard to drill through. But you get the idea.

3.As you can see it fits vey well. It does sit about a 1/4 inch above the firebox which is just fine since it's easier to lift out that way.

4. Over the weekend I took some time and repaired the broken firebox with my M-77 coating. Here is a picture with the firering on.

5.Here is a picture from the side.

As some of you know I am not useing the firering or firebox in my egg. I am still useing my shelf system with success. So if anyone needs a firebox or firering please PM me. By the way I finally broke down and installed the stainless draft door with screen. It works so much better than the original plug. It was a great help on Saturday night.

6. Saturday nights dinner.

Cool
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:25 am    

Right on time.......

Quote:
Lumpsaver Request for Richard
Kamado Discussion Forum » The Kampfire » Lumpsaver Request for Richard

Johnh
Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 9:26 am:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Hi, Richard
I have been happily using my K for some years, and I find the Lumpsaver wears out fairly quickly. I get about 2 years of use out of a Lumpsaver, and the metal starts to warp fairly quickly even when new, allowing larger pieces of charcoal to fall through.

How about making a "Premium Lumpsaver" made with 3/8" steel rather the 1/4" steel used now? I would be glad to pay extra, and I think others would also appreciate the longer life span of a "Premium Lumpsaver"

Here is what I was talking about. Let's face it when you have a really hot fire burning regularly these things are gonna give out. RJ's design is seriously flawed and the metal is junk if they are warping when new. My cheap collander's have never warped. I have one that is over five years old and isn't even close to burning through even after years of constant use. Also the lumpsaver doesn't save charcoal. I would rather have a cheap replacement solution that works well for when they do give out. A product that would insert like the firebowl idea for about the same price. I would rather pay 10,15 or as much as 50 dollars a pop rather than 150+ for two years of use. I was thinking it would be a great idea for Grate Mates to develop and market.
Hot Rod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:30 am    

Thanks for posting this

"Unbelievable" Thanks for the idea of the Firebowl. I think I'm gonna put this info to use. About how much charcoal does yours hold and on average how long does it burn. I realize the variables of grilling vs. low and slow but do you think it holds enough for most average cooks (roasts, chicken etc.)?

Thanks
Hot Rod
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:19 pm    

I hope this helps........

Hot Rod thanks for the reply. If I remember correctly you have a kamado brand. I would measure the charcoal bowl first just to see how it would fit. This one fits my large egg pretty nice. It should hold about as much as what you already have there. Remove the lower grate for airflow too. Some of it will be trial and error like making sure the holes don't clog, making the holes bigger, adding more at the bottom or sides etc. As far as how much charcoal it will hold and how long it will go. If you notice in many kamado pictures with charcoal they overflow over the lumpsaver. I think that's because Richard has designed his kamado's with a shallow charcoal bowl. I know mine was. My #1 now holds almost as much as my large egg. My idea would be that it doesn't need to overflow and create a lot of extra ash cleanup mess. You should be able to get a really long or overnight cook out of a full bowl with regular lump charcoal. Here are a couple of extra tips. Put a shallow pan like a pizza pan on the bottom of your kamado to catch more of the ashes. This will make it easier to keep clean with less time sweeping and vacuuming. Notice Dennis built the Komodo Kamado with a bottom level with the ash/draft door. Smart move. Just sweep it out. I would also heat the new bowl up to 500 degrees before cooking with it just to insure that any impurities burn off. I did that with the old Huck Wok that they used to put in kamado's and they had a nonstick coating. They sell stainless Huck Woks at Home Depot now. The Huck Wok was really small though so the charcoal always overflowed. But it would work much better than a regular lumpsaver. It won't warp either. Please keep us posted as to how it all goes. Thank's Un.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: