Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Tile coming off lid, what do I do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:11 pm    

Tile coming off lid, what do I do?

Quote:

Johnh
Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 4:22 pm:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
My #7 is about 4 years old, and there is an area about 12" long and 6" wide on the lid where the tile is peeling off. Should I assume that the tile will continue to completely come off? Or is it possible that just this one area will come off, which can be fixed? Please Help! Thanks.

Admin
Board Administrator
Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 4:42 pm:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Johnh, we will email you the tile minor repair PDF file for the details of repairing. There is no with a little maintenance, re-grouting and sealing the tile to come off. Tony

Bobh
Post Number: 468
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 4:43 pm:

John, I suspect that you can correct about this this problem, if only you can get the tiles from Kamado to make the fix. I have a #7 and have been trying since January (5 months) to get some Cobalt blue. I have had resp0onses on line, and even have an invoice number, but I have no tiles. I will continue to wait and from time to time remind Kamado that I am waiting. I have no doubt that they are as busy as that proverbial cat on a hot tin roof.

BobH is losing his patience. He's gonna get banned soon. Razz
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:50 pm    

Is Bobh really that daft? He's been waiting for five months for tiles. He can't get the attention of Sales:
Quote:
Bobh
Post Number: 469

Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 4:47 pm: Edit Post Print Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
Richard, yes my Lumpsaver does have a flue on the bottom of the rods. I am continuing to use the lumpsaver I have and am getting by just ok. I would order a new Lumpsaver if only I could get the attention of Sales. Please have them contact me.

Godamighty! I think Bobh actually believes that there is a Sales department. They will turn out the lights on Kamado someday, but Bobh will be still sitting there in the dark waiting for tiles and Sales. We wonder how the hell RJ stays in business, but as long as there are people as gullible as Bobh, RJ's little operation just won't die.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:54 am    

Kamado Pattern Baldness

Some follow-up on an old thread:

Quote:
Johnh

Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 5:39 pm:
I am guessing that since there is a large area of tiles coming off, and not just 1 or 2, that I can expect more problems. I don't know how to do tile work, and If possible I would rather just get a new top. Is it possible to do this under warranty, and have me pay the shipping on a new top?

Ha ha, good luck.

Quote:
Neffie

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 9:35 am:
"There is no with a little maintenance, re-grouting and sealing the tile to come off."

Unfortunately, this is not listed in the instructions, or on the sales pages, as being part of the normal maintenance.

Quote:
Bhewes

Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 5:22 pm:
It's also, specifically, not covered in the warranty. Let me know how long it takes to get the repair kit. Alternatively, maybe they'll let us know what to get at the hardware store to do the same repair. I've tried to save all my tiles - know I've probably missed a few.

Yeah, let us know how long it takes. It's been six months so far...

Quote:
Admin

Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 7:05 pm:
Please email service for the details on the tile repair. Thanks, Tony

Thanks, Tony, thanks for that. Nice to know we just have to email. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Syzygies
Post Number: 642

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 7:01 am:

We bought our Kamado (pictured above, on the right) on special six years ago, and the tiles effectively came for free; I would have also been happy with black textured. After repeated excursions to higher than recommended temperatures, my Kamado shrank ever so slightly, and the tiles came off the main areas. I simply applied a mixture of high quality mortar mix, latex medium, and black cement dye, and we were very happy with the results. Yes, repair the tiles if you'd like to go that way, but converting to textured is an honorable choice, and the food tastes every bit as fantastic. This is easy and enjoyable work; in contrast, you couldn't pay me to apply tiles!

Posting a photo of a competitor's cooker on the Kamado forum is a bannable offense. Syzygies, you are my hero.

Quote:
Billinfla

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 7:31 am:

How do you know this? If that were true, then the tile would fall off all Kamados, wouldn't it?

Isn't it more likely that water just seeped behind the tiles and expanded when heated? Did you seal your grout regularly? Did you use a cover? I'm not saying your tile loss was entirely your fault cause the company has acknowledged that there were some brief production issues with tile adhesion but they were quickly remedied and defective cookers taken out of the market. Maybe yours slipped through the quality control process.

Yeah, water DID seep behind the tiles... right out of the concrete kamado they were stuck to. And the kamado shrunk every-so-slightly in the process. Do we have a new fanboy to contend with? Rolling Eyes
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:48 am    

Richard responds, and is immediately called out...

Quote:
Richardj:

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 10:41 am:
At these temperatures the ceramic bodies do not shrink. Out of well over 15,000 there are a VERY few cases of tile problems. Most of these were caused by water or moisture seeping behind the tiles and heat expansion or freezing. If exposed, they should be sealed, covered or protected under an overhang. If there are any loose tile please review the minor tile repair write-up and easily reset the tile. Ignoring sealing and any minor tile repair makes for un-necessary work.

Quote:
Neffie:

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 11:02 am:
I find the suggestion of a cover interesting. I am sitting here reading the instructions that accompanied my #5. On page 8 covers are specifically called out as follows.

"Covering: There is no need to cover Kamado."

I figured out the the cracks and their expansion was caused by water intrusion long before grout sealers were added to the list of maintenance items here on this board.

My cover solution is both cheap and effective. It doesn't last forever, but it easily replaced when it eventually succumbs to the weather.

50 gallon garbage bags work very nicely.

John

Guess we're not the only ones noticing RJ changing the rules at will.

Great call, Neffie.

Razz
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:58 am    

Quote:
50 gallon garbage bags work nicely.

I'll bet. When the kooker falls apart, you already have it bagged and ready for the garbage man!
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:46 am    

Quote:
Billinfla
Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 4:11 pm:
I hear you, Neffie. It really hurts to cover up my K but, as Richard says, it beats doing unnecessary repairs. If no rain is on the horizon, I often take the cover off, even if I'm not going to use it, just to make the neighbors envious.

Syzygies, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I hope you're happy with your purchase, but do you really think that new cooker is worth 3.5 times what a brand new #7 costs???? I know that manufacturer has plenty of inventory on hand, but I know I could wait several months if it meant I could save 2500 dollars. Especially cause you already have a very functional cooker that could have sustained you through the wait.

Quote:

Syzygies
Post Number: 643

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 5:38 pm:
There are two very different kinds of tile symptoms: Individual tiles breaking away from moisture penetration, and a "hollow sound" where an entire rigid sheet of tiles is suspended with a gap out from the cooker body. Some people report one or the other of these symptoms; they are different conditions.

Water seeping in can't carve out a Grand Canyon; when there's a gap significant enough to sound hollow between two concentric rings, the rings are of different diameters. (I'm a mathematician.) Either the tiles and grout expanded, or the cooker body shrunk. Just a little, but still... I did regularly visit higher temperatures than many people will visit.

If you search, I've long argued for a flexible grout, so each tile would float individually on thermal expansion and contraction. But what do I know? I don't want to get into this business, there's some serious talent already in it.

Bob, both of my cookers were good values at their respective prices. Same with my mountain bikes, at pretty much the same prices! I don't think this forum is the right place to detail the differences in my bikes or my cookers. I'm happy, and I'm happy that this Kamado gang introduced me to the joys of ceramic cooking.

(Message edited by Syzygies on October 04, 2009)

"(I'm a mathematician.)" Hehe... playing the "yes, as a matter of fact, I am a rocket scientist" card.

Quote:
Neffie
Post Number: 108

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 7:58 pm:

Bill,
You have missed my point entirely. I do not have a problem covering the cooker if that is what it requires for proper care. What I have a problem with is the idea that it is some how the owners fault they are having problems with a product when there is additional care required which the manufacturer failed to mention, or specifically stated was not required, in order for the product to retain its original condition as when it was purchased.

I absolutely love the way food tastes when cooked in my #5 and if this cooker crumbles into a pile of concrete blocks one day, which I suspect it will no matter how well I take care of it, I will look for a suitable replacement.

Neffie nailed RJ there... as these cookers deteriorate, and their inherent flaws become obvious, RJ consistently blames the consumer, ignoring his previous claims that these cookers are eternal. First went the lifetime warranty, then went any warranty at all.
tcoliver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:15 pm    

Its pretty comical that there is always and excuse for why a POSK fails. I don't care what business you are in there are ALWAYS going to be warranty issues. Its amazing that RJ has NEVER honored a warranty issue after producing over 15,000 POSK's (so he says). Either hes the best manufacturer that has ever been or he is a con artist. With all the complaints on his forum and around the BBQ world I have to believe its the latter.
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:43 pm    

Quote:
Billinfla
Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 10:57 am:

Sorry, Neffie. I can be a bit dense sometimes. I see your point.

But surely Richard takes into account what the prescribed maintenance procedures were at the time of purchase when considering warranty replacements. Can't hold customers responsible for maintenance they didn't know to perform.

Can you post a link or image of the owner's manual you received? Not doubting you, but there are some that will unless they see it firsthand.

No, richard doesn't take anything except your money into his account.
DavidS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:42 pm    

We all know rj is full of it. But I find it strange an new fanboy billinfla has only 5 post since 2004. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:38 am    

Oh dear! Neffie has put documentary evidence that RJ is a liar on his OWN FORUM! Oh dear! Poor Neffie is about to be banned, I fear!
curly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:48 am    

I think it's only right for RJ to ban BillinFla and Neffie. Bill practically dared Neffie to do it, he's at least an accessory or something Rolling Eyes
Gerard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:13 am    

curly wrote:
I think it's only right for RJ to ban BillinFla ...

Maybe not. He basically told Syzygies it's his fault his tiles fell off and that he's out of his mind to spend what he did on another cooker.

Besides, maybe Billinfla is Bobinfla's brother. That ought to count for something.
curly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:25 am    

Gerard wrote:
curly wrote:
I think it's only right for RJ to ban BillinFla ...

Maybe not. He basically told Syzygies it's his fault his tiles fell off and that he's out of his mind to spend what he did on another cooker.

Besides, maybe Billinfla is Bobinfla's brother. That ought to count for something.

It's prolly irrelevant anyways, as someone pointed out he has 2 posts since 2004 Rolling Eyes It prolly has to be one of the Johnsons! If he banned himself it would be like Satan casting out Satan Shocked
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:58 am    

Yeah, it might be RJ himself. After all he got in that silly crack about BGE not admitting the problem with fireboxes and high temps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: