Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Okay, so which brand *should* I get, then?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jemenake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:32 am    

Okay, so which brand *should* I get, then?

Well, I was leaning toward getting a KamadoCo unit, until I came across this site.

I'm reading plenty of reasons not to buy a KamadoCo, but not many recommendations regarding other units.

I've currently got an Imperial Kamado, and it's holding up pretty well, structurally, but the paint is peeling off. Also, their rolling cart was awful. It was designed for a larger unit than mine, the wheel mounts didn't hold the wheels exactly vertical so the swivels wouldn't swivel, and the bearings in the wheels rusted. I ended up making a much better stand and tossing the one they provided. Also, over the years, the hinge bands rusted, and I had to have them sandblasted and power-coated.

So, although I'm not swearing off of Imperial Kamado, I was hoping to get something with a better base and stainless hardware.

I looked at Komodo Kamado but, sweet jesus... $2,500?!?! Uh, next contestant, please?

I'd prefer not to go with Big Green Egg simply because they don't even pay homage to the mushikamado name. They've named it like an ignorant American would... like something you'd find in the As Seen on TV store next to the ShamWow. I guess I should be thankful they didn't go so far as to include "wierd" or "thingy" in the name.

The Primo's look interesting, for no other reason than they make oval units. Most of the time, I use my kamado to smoke turkeys, and it's always a trade-off between getting big birds and being able to fit two of them in the kamado at once. Anything over about 11lbs and the birds will scrape the inside of the dome. But I'm asking you guys about the quality of them, if you know.

And then there's the Costco one. Are they just re-selling someone else's, or is this a genuine additional entrant?

Anybody with experience with any of these and who can comment about the quality of the finish, base, and hardware?

- Joe
curly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:20 am    

The big thing about this site is that it is DEFINATELY anti KamadoCo.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:10 am    

Re: Okay, so which brand *should* I get, then?

Quote:
Well, I was leaning toward getting a KamadoCo unit, until I came across this site.

Congratulations!

Quote:
I'm reading plenty of reasons not to buy a KamadoCo, but not many recommendations regarding other units.

One of the reasons for that is we have tried NOT to appear as shills for any other brand. There are kamado barbecues at many different price points. Most folks here have a Komodo Kamado, a Big Green Egg, or a Primo Grill. And some of us continue to refurbish our crumbling Kamado-Co cookers. But choosing from one of those three (KK, BGE, Primo) is probably a safe bet.

Quote:

I'd prefer not to go with Big Green Egg simply because they don't even pay homage to the mushikamado name.

Don't forget that the mushikamado fable is a fiction propagated by Richard Johnson. BGE has an X-large size that might suit your 2-turkey needs. Not to mention good customer service, which is key when you need it. KomodoKamado, while pricey, also has the larger size, excellent customer service, and supreme craftmanship.

Perhaps Gerard could chime in on the capacity of a Primo Oval. Fishtail can tell you about BGEs.

Quote:
And then there's the Costco one. Are they just re-selling someone else's, or is this a genuine additional entrant?

The costco unit is a re-branded chinese import... we believe it is this unit: http://meteorbbqware.com/?link=productView&ID=322

Good luck on your search, and congratulations, you just saved yourself months of frustration and a lot of money.

Wink
Gerard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:49 am    

Re: Okay, so which brand *should* I get, then?

Admin wrote:
But choosing from one of those three (KK, BGE, Primo) is probably a safe bet.

I think we should also include Grill Dome among the manufacturers that seem to have a very dedicated following and a stellar reputation. IIRC, they have an extra large version too.

Quote:

I'd prefer not to go with Big Green Egg simply because they don't even pay homage to the mushikamado name.

I sure wouldn't rule-out the best known and best loved brand based on that. Besides, I think their website pays proper homage to the original Japanese cookers, or at least it has in the past.

Admin wrote:
Gerard could chime in on the capacity of a Primo Oval. Fishtail can tell you about BGEs.

I have no first hand experience with the Oval as both of my Primos are large BGE clones (aka Primo Round Kamados). My Primo purchases predated the release of the Oval. But I can vouch for the good quality and good service provided. I think the Ovals are very popular among the Primo crowd for their flexibility and if I had need of another cooker and wasn't prepared to plunk down kk money, I would buy an Oval in an instant.
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:29 pm    

Hey Joe! Howzabouta black oval?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/1488289190.html

Check out the video. Looks sweet in black . Cool
jemenake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:49 am    

Re: Hey Joe! Howzabouta black oval?

Unbelievable wrote:

Check out the video. Looks sweet in black . Cool

Yeah, the oval option on the Primo is attractive because I mostly use my kamado to smoke turkeys, and my current one limits me to about 10-11lbs if I smoke 2 at once. What I need is more width as opposed to more space all around. So, I could probably fit either three smaller birds or two big ones in that Primo.

Why, is that you selling it?

- Joe
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:52 am    

No, it's not mine. I wish it was though since I really like it. If that's a good price you should jump on it. Those don't come up very often. If you need it shipped the owners would probably help since it's still all wrapped up. Keep us posted. Smile

Here's a propane #5 for 400 klams.
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/hsh/1473731703.html
FastEddie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:13 pm    

the money I saved

RE: Well, I was leaning toward getting a KamadoCo unit, until I came across this site.

A few years ago, I almost put down some money for that kamado cooker that probably would never have been delivered. Thanks to the warnings of the good folks on this forum, I didn’t.

What to purchase instead?

I considered the other ceramic cookers, but instead purchased a Weber Smoky Mountain cooker, and I remain very pleased. Any charcoal works fine, and the design keeps the cooker at a stable 250 deg for many unattended hours.

I know that the ceramic cookers are the Cadillac’s in their class.

But with the money I saved I purchased a 16’ fishing kayak, and if the fishing isn’t so good, I still can come home to some fine barbequed brisket, or ribs.

Thanks again for the dedication of the forum regulars in steering the unwary from a likely unhappy financial decision in the hopes of obtaining a cooker that may never be delivered.

Happy New Year to all.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:45 pm    

Brilliant! Thank you, FastEddie. And Congratulations.

Cheers!

Razz
curly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:19 am    

Weber Smoky Mountain cooker

Weber Smoky Mountain cooker

Probably the best valued unit on the market
Elkhorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:23 am    

What to purchase?

If you can afford it, this is the best:

http://www.komodokamado.com/new2/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: