Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Photo essay on my current cooker...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Customer Service Nightmares
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porkchop

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:03 pm    

Photo essay on my current cooker...

http://www.porkchopbbq.com/kongspage.html

check out the updates to my site with pics of my CURRENT cooker, kong. it is a #7 mexi-K

I've also done a "virtual side-by-side" that will have to do until I get my new cooker. I will be ordering a black volcanic OTB from Dennis.

funny. my journey here started with an unsatisfactory exchange with the mexi-K folks concerning their worthless warranty. I almost feel like thanking them... had they not given me reason to look around, I might never have found this fine sight, met Dennis, and been introduced to my next cooker Very Happy
Gerard

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:03 am    

Interesting photoessay

Looks like they sent you an experiment gone bad. Was that patched over hole for a draft door apparent when you first received the unit? And you're right... with those lines radiating out from it, seems like it's the weak point in the base.

It's a real shame that the first thing that went wrong was the firebox breaking. Sounds like your relationship with the Kompany was poisoned over that and, frankly, the firebox breaking is unusual (as was someone removing it) and just doesn't scream warranty replacement or refund the way the cracks or the patched over draftdoor hole do.

Still, it shouldn't matter. It's egregious that the Kompany obviously sold a very defective (I'm talking about the draft door patch) unit and hasn't made good on its warranty. Unless, of course, the unit was sold dirt cheap as defective and warranty-less from the very get-go.

And in no way should they remotely consider asking you to pay for shipping of a new unit and/or return of the old unit. They tried that with me. I went ballistic. It's the nature of the business.... GE sells major bulky and heavy appliances with warranties. They do not expect anyone to spend hundreds of dollars shipping a refrigerator back when something breaks. If they suddenly did, the offices of 50 state attorney generals would take quick notice. Just cause it's a little business doesn't mean the standards should change. Besides, how long can they hide behind the tiny new struggling family business mantle? And how long can their cultists keep repeating that mantra?

I would keep pursuing this. The website is a good start. Good luck.
Porkchop

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:43 pm    

Oh, Gerard, Gerard...

Oh, Gerard, Gerard...

There's no way I'd ever consider pursuing this with Kamado. I've cut my losses at this point. I really don't enjoy being that upset. I won't belabor the point except to say that the only 2 things that really get me going is blatant stupidity and deception. When a confluence of both qualities exist in magnitude, I know to just let it alone. If they balked at replacing a firebox (and I disagree; it is very obviously a warranty issue), I'm sure what would follow concerning the state of my kamado would be a veritible hurricane of double-talk and lies.

I've moved on. my webpage exists as a testament to their self-destructive means of conducting business. I'm far too excited about looking forward to my soon-to-be new cooker to waste energy beating my head against a wall, that would make me as stupid as them. Veterans like us do not tend to rush in again to the breach, but serve as wise cousel to those who would follow.

I don't anticipate that even favored members of richard's court will be able to collect on any warranty for much longer anyway.
Curly

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:35 am    

Gas Door

Porkchop,

That square thing looks just like the hole I patched over in my K7. I bgt it with gas but quickly decided it was way to much trouble to clean with the gas thing in it. So I removed the gas and was left with the hole to patch. Same general size and place.

Curly
WNTnT

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:12 am    

Porkchop,

Hard drives have little labels on them that say "Warrantee void if this seal is removed." Maybe your MexiK had a little label inside that said "Warrantee void if firebox is removed." It probably burnt up in the first fire? Laughing
Porkchop

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:55 am    

at least that would have been less personally insulting than the bs they tried to sell me... Mad

see, now I have to calm myself down again. don't get me spun all up again TNW!!!
Wink
Curly

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:46 am    

I can't see why the fire-box would be a questionable issue. Mine broke in many pieces and I emailed them the pictures and I got a free fire-box s&H included. Now it wasn't exactly a timely replacement as far as I am concerned and the replacement that came was broken in many pieces also. But at least the replacement had chicken wire in it and would stay together so I could resume cooking. Instead of replacing the replacement they sent me a bag of stuff (porcelan coating or something) that Richard said was VERY expensive and I could fix all of the cracks with it.
Gerard

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:52 am    

I concede, I shouldn't have poo-poo'ed the firebox

I shouldn't have downplayed the firebox cracking. It's just that I remember my K's firebox had 3 or so big cracks but was stable and solid and functioned as it should have. They were only really obvious when I would put the power blower* in the K and the ash would be blown away and the cracks would stand out.

I'm guessing Porkchop's firebox must have been much worse.

*An incredibly stupid but rather spectacular thing to do. I couldn't help myself; I would do it several times a year. Still do it occasionally with my Primos and they're on my back porch! It accomplishes absolutely nothing except coating everything within 50 feet with a fine layer of ash - power blower operator included - and it really pisses off the wife.
Porkchop

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:16 am    

my firebox was in pieces such that the ceramic grate would no longer work; it slid straight thru the hole. that was before i even noticed any cracking. tried a repair, and i guess i hurried too quickly; cracked again along the same fissures. now, when i use my steel lumpsaver (my only option), just the weight of that bearing down on the hole causes those cracks to spread apart. it still works, but is barely holding on...

can't believe they sent you a firebox with no shipping and handling charges. even if i had "let" them send me a firebox, even tho it was my fault Mad , i was still going to be paying shipping. what bs!

but, like i've said before, putting that behind me. why get bent over a firebox and a crappy business when i'm about to order the best from the best? my damaged firebox will get me thru the last few months til Q-zilla lands on my porch!
Gerard

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:25 am    

[quote="Porkchop"]...can't believe they sent you a firebox with no shipping and handling charges...[/quote]

You have me confused with someone else, I never needed a new firebox. My Primos, on the otherhand, needed new fireboxes and the company shipped replacements free of charge.
Porkchop

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:56 am    

sorry. referring to curly's post above. he got the firebox.
Curly

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:30 am    

Porkchop,

Yes, they sent it free. But like I said the one they sent was broken in more pieces than the original but they have apparently began reinforcing them so it holds itself together. You can bet I won't be taking the thing out for cleaning. I hope to get the VERY expensive porcelain (probably Portland cement) on as soon as I can.
DennisLink

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:33 pm    

My two-piece firebox...

[quote="Curly"] I hope to get the VERY expensive porcelain (probably Portland cement) on as soon as I can.[/quote]

The only specifically for high temp applications material that Mexi-K used when they were still Indo-K was a white calcium aluminate cement called Secar 71 and regular Fondu cement, a high alumina cement.
Off the shelf stuff..

VERY expensive.. RJ? Yea right... about a $1 a pound...

My two-piece firebox...
Time to brag a little, cause I can.... Wink

A round firebox is exposed to dramatic differences in tempurature.. Uneven expansion and contraction causes tension in the material and eventually causes failure.
Building it in two pieces solves the problem.. the halves can expand and contract as they please and cause no structural tension Laughing
Porkchop

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:47 am    

again, a very "common sense" design change... you mean to say, YOUR firebox isn't designed to be wedged into place to keep broken pieces in place???? Rolling Eyes

man, the BS some folks will try to sell you...
Curly

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:53 am    

So Gerard,

Are you gonna keep the 2 primo's when you get the KK? I know, I know, people seem to collect ceramic cookers...just wondering though...maybe I'll take one of those primos off your hands if the price is right.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Customer Service Nightmares All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: