Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

So What Do You Folks Recommend
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twharton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:02 am    

So What Do You Folks Recommend

I 'discovered' this cooker about a month ago. Lurked their website and when ready to order...well you all know how un-navigable it is.

I made posts on their forum and got nothing except enlightenment.

In fairness I get the impression that it cooks, smokes, BBQ's great until if falls apart. Granting the limitations of my 12 yr old Weber Kettle, it's a helluva lot better than gas (no offense) and it's still going strong.

So with all that preamble...what brand of this style of cooker do you folks personall recommend.

The Komodo Kamado, the Primo, BGE or is there a better one.

Thanks in advance and also thank you for the personal phone calls and emails the kept me from making a mistake.

Best...twharton
Pensacola, FL
Porkchop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:16 am    

glad to see you made your way here! i own a #7 mexi-kamado (for sale, cheap!) and a Komodo Kamado OTB. i have also cooked on the Lg & XL Big Green Egg. these are both fantastic cookers, and i would recommend either.

you should do some comparing and consider what you are looking for. the XL BGE and the OTB have the same overall capacity, and, when you calculate prices, remember that the XL doesn't come with all the accessories; you have to get those separately. if you are looking for something with less capacity, the OTB only comes in one size, so you are probably looking at a BGE. and of course, there's the question of appearance. the OTB comes in many colors and is available as a tiled or "textured" unit. i own a black textured, and thing it is just beautiful.

as far as customer service and warranty, i can only speak for the Komodo Kamado; Dennis (the owner) is FANTASTIC! he stands behind his product 100%, no questions asked! you wont be ignored for weeks. he gets back in a day (time difference in indonesia) when you call, unless hes on a trip or something. or email him, or post on his forum www.komodokamado.com/forum

hope this helps. if you have other questions, feel free to PM/email me.
JasmineFilter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:18 am    

BGE, Grill Dome, Primo and Komodo Kamado all have good service and good reputations as good cookers. If you are choosing between these four, you have the luxury of knowing you will be happy whatever you do, and thus you can calmly compare prices and features and make a decision based on practical things like that. So, what is your budget and what are your needs and desires for a cooker?
CharlieBrown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:25 am    

That can be a loaded question...

...ha ha... many a flame war has broken out over such "comparison" threads.

I personally have a #7 kamado in need of repair. I love it, it cooks great, but it needs some work.

I know some folks who are very pleased with their BGE, some who love their Primo, and some who are nuts over the new OTBs. Personally, I would replace my #7 with an OTB.

It's really up to you to read everything and make the choice that suits your needs. My criteria are (1) ease of use, (2) size, (3) aesthetics. That's why I chose a #7 kamado and why I would now choose an OTB. But on the other hand, I could go down to barbecues galore and drive home with a new BGE today, no hassles or waiting.

The bottom line is, cooking in ceramics is different and better, and any one of them will produce some amazing grub. Good luck.

Cool
curly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:51 am    

Yes, all of the above. Just don't buy a Kamado and you will be happy.

I think the tiled ones are the most desirable, so a Komoda-Kamado is already ordered. I also have a #7 Kamado that may soon go up for sale...or demo, as others have suggested.

But being able to get a BGE at the corner store is no longer such a grand thing since there are actually units sitting in warehouses of the Komodo-Kamado.
twharton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:51 am    

Well first a special thanks to porkchop for the heads up last night. I owe you big time!

And then to everyone else for your quick and professional response. I fully understand it is a personal choice and as long as I'm dealing with a reputable company I will be satisfied. Although a heated (pun intended) would have been most entertaining.

I made two very clear and specific posts yesterday on the Kamado Forum on how to order and to make contact. Late last night I received a brief email from Richard saying he would call me today. About an hour later I received another saying Keith would call me today. So far no call and in checking their forum my posts have been deleted. Who knows why.

I'm so relieved I didn't go down that path.

Thanks again.

twharton
Pensacola, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could."
curly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:00 am    

Yeah, you would have probably been inundated with warnings...except most of us have been banned from the Kamado website for voicing our opinion of how our customer service problems have been ignored or deleted.

Glad you heeded the advice, some don't and dive right in because they think we are a hate group...when in all reality we are our own litle BBB Very Happy

And there are those on the Kamado site who are still very much of the Kamado Cheerleaders...even after seeing hundreds of customer service requests deleted and ignored. Our only thoughts on that is that they must have bought into RJ's stock scam and still hold hopes of getting some of their money back if he can keep limping along with that shoddy business. But alas, they have hopelessly lost that money and just can't yet accept the reality.
foxhound

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:03 am    

Check out the KomodoKamado thread on the containers on the water now. There are numerous colors available, and pretty well loaded up on accessories. You can email Dennis from the Komodo site and he will update you on arrival and answer questions fairly promptly.

I have a Kamado 7 that has not had any mechanical issues, but I found their customer service intolerable.
Porkchop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:07 am    

twharton wrote:
Well first a special thanks to porkchop for the heads up last night. I owe you big time!

that debt can be settled quickly and easily, once you decide on a cooker and are cooking away! Very Happy

to be honest, i don't bear any grudge against the company so much as i don't want to see individuals lead down the "primrose path". seeing you post about a dealership made me think of tony, and how i wish someone had been there for him, and others. to be honest, i had kinda my own little crusade going on my own webpage, but i haven't updated in ages! too busy living, cooking, EATING! living well is the BEST revenge! and definitely check out the other forums for BGE and Komodo Kamado. really friendly folks!
Fetzervalve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:52 pm    

I was ready to buy a BGE or Kamado. I decided a K was a better choice because of the look - I don't really care for the look of the egg for roughly the same price. I had placed a deposit for a K and was waiting for tile samples, as the weeks passed and I could not get a response, I posted to the K forum - I too got a PM from a good Samaritan and my post was deleted. Shocked I went to the KK site and the rest is history, I bought from stock in LA and had it on my deck in 2 weeks start-to-finish! Very Happy (OTB Supreme Light Terra Blue) http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750

Good luck in your decision we will all look forward to updates on your choice!!
curly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:02 pm    

You've really already made the important decision...not to get a K Very Happy Very Happy

It's all downhill from here Wink
FastEddie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:24 pm    

worthy of consideration

“So with all that preamble...what brand of this style of cooker do you folks personally recommend.”

I have a Weber Kettle for grilling and the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for barbecue.

They both have lasted with minimum care and still perform admirably.

I have been asking the same questions, and I believe the other posters provided wise information. I appreciate the beauty of the ornate tiled ceramics, and one day I will purchase a komodo_K.

For now I enhanced my Weber Bullet with a BBQGuru pitminder and have had three long, successful, unattended overnight low and slow barbeques.

For the short term the Weber Bullet is worthy of consideration, but if you have the money, and if you appreciate the aesthetics of a ceramic, I would consider the alternative Komoda. (I would have to build a beautiful patio and landscape my backyard to accommodate the beauty of such an ornate ceramic cooker.)

Best wishes.

Happy grilling and smoking to you.
duck833

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:23 pm    

Fast Eddie

Have you also every looked at a Fast Eddie, FEC100?. Nice pellet cooker for doing unassisted serious cooking. I have had a big Klose, a wounded #9 Kamado, my Weber grill, 6 WSM's and other various devices. The FEC100 is still around, we quit doing 300 person tailgaters so got rid of the Klose offset trailer, the #9 Kamado was a mistake and is dying, probably terminal. Right now I direct grill on my Weber like always, low and slows are done on the Fast Eddie, thinking about a BGE for high temp steaks and pizza. Kind of done with the tiled ceramics for now, the Kamado ruined it for me. Thinking keep it a little more simple.
twharton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:32 am    

Thanks Again

Well again thanks to all for the guidance. My wife chose her preferred tile color last night , yeah I'm smart Smile so it really is now all downhill from here.

WARNING...my next question will be asking for your personal recipes. I suspect it will similar to petitioning Coca Cola for their formula.

I hope I live through it Very Happy I will send photos on delivery.

Best...twharton
curly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:28 am    

Re: Thanks Again

twharton wrote:
Well again thanks to all for the guidance. My wife chose her preferred tile color last night , yeah I'm smart Smile so it really is now all downhill from here.

WARNING...my next question will be asking for your personal recipes. I suspect it will similar to petitioning Coca Cola for their formula.

I hope I live through it Very Happy I will send photos on delivery.

Best...twharton

No, quite the opposite...these folks are proud to share their recipes Very Happy

Congratulations, thank God you were rescued in time. Another one saved from the K mistake is a blessing indeed. Very Happy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: