Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

So What Do You Folks Recommend
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxhound

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:22 am    

There is a developing recipe section on the KomodoKamado forum, and there are also good recipe sections on other ceramic forums such as BGE, Primo, and Kamado. You are in for a lot of good eating.
FastEddie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:02 pm    

Simple is good.

“Have you also every looked at a Fast Eddie, FEC100?. Nice pellet cooker for doing unassisted serious cooking. …. Thinking keep it a little more simple.”

Hi duck833,

That fine FEC100 is just too big for me:

“In only one load the FEC100 smoke-cooks up to 100 lbs. pork butts, 80 lbs. brisket, 60 lbs. ribs or 24 chickens.”

The FEC100 is impressive.

But I normally barbecue only two briskets, or a brisket and a pork butt at a time. Other times it is a whole turkey, a couple of chickens or ducks. On occasion I smoke two or three Polish sausages. That is enough for family and friends, with plenty leftovers.

The SM008 Smokette would be more in line what I would use for backyard barbecue in the Cookshack line. Do you any feed back on how the SM008 performs?

On occasion I use my Weber Kettle for making pizzas ( I love pizza but it puts those extra pounds on me. But in eating good BBQ my weight remains stable.)

For making pizza I use the Weber rotisserie ring on the kettle with a “Pizza Grill Stone” ™ (it is mounted on a stainless frame). I easily get 550 degrees on the stone. The rotisserie ring brings the baking edge of gill stone at a level with the top of the ring, with enough clearance for the Weber lid.

I remain interested in a future ceramic cooker, but at least for now -- with my present set-up -- I can do a reasonably good job in grilling or barbecue. I also use cast iron cookware for outdoor cooking.

Simple is good.
DoubleIPA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:50 am    

Re: Fast Eddie

duck833 wrote:
Have you also every looked at a Fast Eddie, FEC100?. Nice pellet cooker for doing unassisted serious cooking. I have had a big Klose, a wounded #9 Kamado, my Weber grill, 6 WSM's and other various devices. The FEC100 is still around, we quit doing 300 person tailgaters so got rid of the Klose offset trailer, the #9 Kamado was a mistake and is dying, probably terminal. Right now I direct grill on my Weber like always, low and slows are done on the Fast Eddie, thinking about a BGE for high temp steaks and pizza. Kind of done with the tiled ceramics for now, the Kamado ruined it for me. Thinking keep it a little more simple.

Thought I might point out a few things here. I owned a Traeger which is the same pellet system Smokeshack uses, just different grill. They are great for low and slow, but if you are into grilling they are a bust. While I do not think the cookshack markets theirs as grill, Traeger does. Also, I was never happy with the flavor of their pellets. No matter what flavor I bought, they all tasted like alder to me. Also the treager system was never very accurate either, mine was doing good when it only had a +/- 10 degree swing, but maybe with an insulated Cookshack they will be better. Lastly, for the price of one, a couple of ceramics could be had, which covers all grilling needs. It still looks like a great smoker, if all you want is a smoker. One thing I loved about my old Traeger was no grill lighting - just flick a switch.

Ceramic combined with a Guru is the only way for me now!
FastEddie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:37 pm    

Come springtime

RE: “Ceramic combined with a Guru is the only way for me now!”

Hello,

Come springtime I will take your advice and move up to a Ceramic cooker. My only apprehension is having to glue tiles back on a ceramic cooker, or futzing with band adjustments ect.

I do like the rugged simplicity of the WSB for barbeque and have recommended it to two friends who purchased them.

I’m leaving in the morning for a long veterans day weekend to visit one of those friends in the White Mountains of New Hampshire to spend some time and try some cold weather barbeque.

Have you been watching the Barbeque Championship Series on the VERSUS channel? I was cheering for the Wood Chicks since they used a WSM for the pork butt. I was impressed with the performances of Ray Lampe and the real Fast Eddy.

I appreciate your taking the time to offer suggestions based on your experience with other cookers.

When I come back next week I’ll let you know what we barbequed over the weekend and how things went.

FastEddie
DoubleIPA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:21 pm    

Cool! Sounds like fun!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: