Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

My Kamado is Great
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamado Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:37 pm    

My Kamado is Great

I just ran across this forum today while I was looking around for Kamado accessories, so I thought I'd make some comments and see if free speech works here or if I'm immediately deleted for disagreeing with folks on this forum.

I have had a Kamado for just over 3 years. I live in an area with harsh winter climates and cook all year long. I've done high heat, low heat, short cooks, long cooks, you name it. Mine is tiled in the standard cobalt blue tile with stainless bands.

I have had absolutely no problems with my Kamado.

The unit continues to perform without a hitch. There is no breaking, cracking, or other issues. The firebox is fine. The top is fine - it's all working just like new.

This last week I had golf ball sized hail damage my house, my yard, my everything that was outside - except the Kamado. Not a chip, not a falling tile, nothing at all wrong with it. In fact, I cooked in it the next day after the storm. The ribs were wonderful.

I know what it is like to have a problem with a device I've purchased - in a phrase, it sucks. I have no doubt that some Kamados have failed for various reasons. I'm also sure that several Kamado owners have not treated their Kamados well and have caused their own damage - such as by not leaving the top damper open a slight amount until the unit cools (per instructions).

However, I'm very wary of this website and its contents. I say this because if it is turning people off of the Kamado, it shouldn't. This website has a couple of thousand posts by around a hundred members. It sounds to me like a small handful of people with a grudge complaining - not much more. By comparison, the Kamado forums have about 50,000 posts and around 2,400 members. Which am I going to trust?

Sorry folks for all your troubles, especially if you've had difficulty getting warranty work done - but calm down, take a breath, and just move on.
Kamado Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:44 pm    

Forgot to mention

When I ordered the Kamado, I got great customer service - and follow-up during the manufacturing process.

Ultimately someone in my general area had ordered a model similar to mine only upgraded and with around 20 boxes of charcoal, but had decided to cancel after shipment. Kamado asked if I wanted that unit instead of waiting another few weeks for mine to ship, and I said yes.

I got the unit, the upgrades, and the charcoal for the price of my unit - in other words, they upgraded me for free and gave me the charcoal to get the unit off the dock of the shipping place.

I still have some of the old charcoal that I save and use sparingly. No mold, no crumbling - it is perfect. It is also highly sought after by friends with Big Green Eggs and similar units. They've tried all kinds of charcoal, but for long, slow cooks, it burns more evenly than anything else.
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:59 pm    

We have no problem with the fact that you are happy with your cooker. But you obviously haven't read enough here and on the Kamado forum or thought enough about what you did read. First of all, do a search on the Kamado forum and see how many posts there have been in the last 6 months and by how many people. A number of their regular fanboys finally got religion and left. The number of members and the number of members actually posting are very different. And think about how significant it is that 100 people spend their time here trying to let people know about Richard Johnson and his lies and thefts. Comparing the total number of posts and members here and there is meaningless. Kamado forum was very busy several years ago before people caught on to Richard Johnson. There are usually only a handful of posts every week now.

Then there is the second thing you need to think about. While you have a good cooker and are happy with it, are you happy knowing that you supported a Richard Johnson and his company that:

1) Stole $10,000 in merchandise from the BBQ Guru company? This is verified directly by the owner of that company.
2) Stole at least $40,000 from Tony Oliver, an investor? Richard sold him a distributorship and then refused to sell him any product to sell. Tony posts here if you want to ask him about the details.
3) Stole 4 or 5 containers of charcoal from Sandy in Indonesia?
4) Lies about the source and composition of the charcoal he sells now, including lying about how Kamado makes the charcoal themselves? (They don't manufacture any charcoal and the reason they only sell crappy charcoal now is that the various distributors of the quality coconut charcoal in Southeast Asia are now all on to his scams and refuse to sell to him.
5) Fled Indonesia in the middle of the night before he was to meet with all the creditors to whom he owed money? He left his creditors high and dry. He put all his workers out of a job in a heartbeat.
6) Traveled to New Zealand and posed under a false name in order to steal the racing yacht Nam Sang?
7) Refuses to honor the lifetime warrantee that he advertised on his cookers? Refuses to return phone calls and emails from people who need service?
8 ) Refused to refund money for crumbly, MOLDY charcoal that he shipped to his customers? He said just burn it, the mold probably won't hurt you.
9) Sold underweight boxes of charcoal to his customers?

And those are just the highlights of what Richard Johnson has done. I could care less about the quality of his cookers. I will not support a crook who has caused so much grief for so many people.

Don't fear, your post will remain here uncensored. If you have been reading here and watching the Kamado forum closely, you will see that Richard Johnson routinely deletes posts BY HIS OWN CUSTOMERS from his forum and suspends their accounts whenever anyone asks for help or asks him to return emails and phone calls. He suspended Johnnyboy's account simply because Johnnyboy posted that he is allergic to mold and his doctor recommended that he not burn any of that MOLDY charcoal Richard Johnson sold him. To think that anyone would be concerned about posts here being deleted in view of the way Richard Johnson runs his forum is somewhat humorous. The only posts that have be deleted or edited here by the admin are posts that were too aggressive in their attacks on either Kamado or their customers.

Regarding your 20 boxes of charcoal, which country was it made in? If it wasn't made in the Philippines, then it is definitely low grade compared to the quality charcoal that Richard Johnson originally sold. If you are in possession of charcoal made in Thailand or Indonesia, it is really inferior, but you wouldn't know it unless you had the original Philippine charcoal to compare it to. You should visit the Lump Charcoal Database to see the comparisons of the old and new. The burntimes of the newer stuff were much less, the ash production was enormous (greater than Kingsford) and many of the boxes were underweight. If you do have the Philippine charcoal, until you try their current stuff side by side, you won't realize how bad the current stuff is.

So do you really think that the people that Richard Johnson stole money from should just take a breath and move on? Do you really think we should all just look the other way and let Richard Johnson continue to lie to customers and steal from suppliers? This is about a hell of a lot more than simply people who had a few (or a lot) of their tiles fall off and got pissed when Richard Johnson told them to glue them back on. This is about trying to prevent Richard Johnson from continuing to hurt people. The information is all here, all you have to do is read it.
Kamado Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:11 pm    

But your forum is misleading and unbalanced

The reason I posted here was because I read your various posts, not because I didn't or that I ignored them. This forum is filled with people saying that the Kamado units are terrible and that buyers should run for the hills - that is not the case.

I bothered to post here because the casual web surfer may happen upon this forum and I really don't see any balance here at all. Your forum is pretty much totally missing any views from the other side, such as from happy customers.

The bottom line here is that my cooker and charcoal, along with what seems to be vast numbers of other units from years and years of sales, seem to be just fine. If you want to create a forum about a product, do so, but this bickering by about a hundred people doesn't help the consumer.

I suggest that if you really cared about a complete and honest discussion about the Kamado, you'd just create a new forum that talks about the units. Say whatever you like there, but come on folks - you have to admit this forum is really one-sided.

Now, if you dislike Kamado and its forums, fine. If you have any proof of what you are saying, fine. Post it all. Have a discussion. Otherwise, this forum comes off as mudslinging. I say this in all honesty as if you have legitimate gripes, boy, you aren't expressing them in a way that is very convincing to people like me. Maybe some newby that is thinking of buying a unit who is scared off, but not to otherwise. I mean, you guys are even going after the charcoal reviewers - it seems laughable.
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:21 pm    

Man, you didn't even read my post did you? This isn't only about the cookers. Yeah, some folks have some good copies and are happy. But this is about Richard Johnson's theft, lies and fraud, Before you pooh pooh all the stories of things Richard Johnson has done, you should check them out. Like I say, talk to Tony Oliver. The Nam Sang theft is documented here quite well as is the theft of the merchandise from the BBQ Guru company. Sandy in Indonesia posted his story of the stolen charcoal. We have posted here dozens of reasonable posts from the Kamado forum from customers asking for help that were deleted by Richard Johnson. It is all documented here. Everyone here will tell you openly, this is not a place to discuss the merits of Richard Johnson's cookers. We are here to stop Richard Johnson from hurting more people. I mean read the following sentence:

RICHARD JOHNSON STOLE $40,000 FROM TONY OLIVER.

Tony posts here. Ask him for proof. That should be enough to make you understand that most of us think it is hard to justify buying products from this company after all their behavior.

I don't know how this forum could be "balanced". There is nothing good about RIchard Johnson to post that will balance all the things he has done to hurt people. This forum is not misleading. It accurately documents all the stuff Richard Johnson has done.
Kamado Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:34 pm    

It could be balanced by having people like me report that their units and their charcoal are just fine.

Aside from that, I'm sorry, I've seen enough of these disputes that I don't believe a damn thing unless at least a court of law has made a determination. If you can point me to a court decision where some truth has been vetted, then maybe you have something. Otherwise all I see are some random news stories and the crying and yelling (or accusations thereof) by lots of people.

Even the BBQ Guru story (and I own one of his units, by the way - generally good, but within a year the coating on the probes started to have issues and the clip fell off for the temp probe - should I start a forum?). If a guy is out $10,000 he settles or he starts a lawsuit. Or perhaps he realized he was making a lot of good money selling add-ons to other people's cookers (at a really friggin' high price) and decided to leave it at that.

Hey, there are lots of ways to be balanced, the first start is to not hold grudges.

If everyone is on here saying don't buy from crooks, I sure hope you apply that same logic to much bigger scamming companies - from gas and oil right on through to tobacco.

All of you on here are applying that same logic, right? No deals with anyone that you can dig up a bad article on? Right...RIGHT???!
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:48 pm    

Now you are being silly. And AGAIN, this forum is not about the quality of his cookers. That some people have had service problems with him is only a small part of what this forum is about. It is more about all of Richard Johnson's fraud, lies and thefts. I have personally spoken with the owner of the BBQ Guru company. He tried to get Richard Johnson to pay. He offered to let him pay in installments. But you see, Richard Johnson fled Sacramento to Mexico where he was untouchable by the US legal process. The owner of the BBQ Guru company finally decided to cut his losses.

Tony Oliver tried to take legal action but he couldn't get papers served on Richard Johnson once he was in Mexico. Tony is actually considering taking up the legal route again now that there is information that Richard Johnson is now living in Las Vegas. Again, talk to Tony.

Oh, and I forgot another of Richard Johnson's transgressions. He is being pursued by the State of California for not remitting sales taxes on merchandise he sold while located in California. I know because I have been in contact with the person doing the pursuing. Oh, but I must be lying since I don't have a document from a judge saying it is so, right?

It is rather incredible that you are willing to pooh pooh so many acts of Richard Johnson. It might be easy to write off one or two to disgruntled suppliers, but not all these stories. The crappy charcoal is documented for all to see at the web site I gave you. But you want a determination from a court of law. This has truly descended to the level of silliness. Do you really think 100 people would all conspire to create this forum and document all of Richard Johnson's acts just because they couldn't get a lumpsaver that fits, or because a few tiles fell off? Do you see anyone running a forum like this to attack Big Green Egg, Grill Dome, Primo or Komodo Kamado?
Runswithscissors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:44 pm    

K-fan
I think the one thing that you should check out is the number of deleted posts (from the Kamdo forum) that are recorded here. People who tried to contact RJ with warranty problems. After MANY attempts to get in touch with Kamado, they post a polite request for some kind of contact. The usual response is to delete the post and boot them off the Kamado forum. Would that make the Kamado forum unbalanced?
Runswithscissors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:34 pm    

RichardJ
Kamado Forum
8/09/07
In reference to The Nakid Wiz

"I would suggest, however, they not be influenced by someone who is prejudiced, uniformed, uneducated and ill prepared or equipped to publicizing tests that are misleading and should be done by done by professionals. "

"going after the charcoal reviewers - it seems laughable"
primeats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:06 pm    

Y'know if RJ wants to delete posts, that his deal, his forum ok? It just seems that it's almost comical to read deleated posts here. K fan you have a good functioning unit,FANTASTIC, and continued great bbqing to you! You won't get a Beef( sorry can't help it) from anyone here! I made a decision on which unit to buy from careful research from not only this forum but from numerous web sources. If there were only 100 negative reports from out of 5000, I would still be worried. This gentelmans history ( granted the reports are 1sided from this and other sources) is highly suspect and have not been refuted by Him. Again, you have a good unit,good for you, and I don't wish bad things on anyone I don't believe anyone on this board does either! From what I've read it's all about a group of folks who have very credible docucmented evidence on their failed units, and have gotten little or no responce from Kamado. I for one thank them for their input, looks like I may have saved several thousands of $ by not investing with him. His track record is highly suspect, and his character seems severely lacking.
greggd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:06 pm    

My Kamado works great too!

However, that does not eliminate all the evidence that points to the malfeasance of RJ and Kamado. Even though I have had no problems, the pleasure of using the product has been diminished because of their actions.

Surely if you are an owner of 3 years, you have seen how badly the Kamado Forum has deteriorated over that time. It use to be joy even if you were just a lurker. They drove many good folks (not necessarily fan boys) away.

Sadly, you remind me of the people who lauded the John "the Dapper Don" Gotti. He paid for fireworks displays in the neighborhood, but was still a cold blooded killer.

Perhaps that analog is over the top (has Richard physically harmed anyone?), but the principal is the same.

Remember the Edmund Burke quote; "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing"

Greggd
Steel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:17 pm    

Runswithscissors wrote:
RichardJ
Kamado Forum
8/09/07
In reference to The Nakid Wiz

"I would suggest, however, they not be influenced by someone who is prejudiced, uniformed, uneducated and ill prepared or equipped to publicizing tests that are misleading and should be done by done by professionals. "

"going after the charcoal reviewers - it seems laughable"

Well i don't own a krapado,but i have tried the coconut charcoal on 3 occasions and it's laughable,
the smell,or should i say stink when it's burning should be investigated by the proper authorities. Rolling Eyes
outlaw99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:21 pm    

sounds like Kamado fan is a schill for the Kamado company! Anybody that can refute the evidence here is is unsound. Just look at the deleted posts pattern! Sure there are K's that still work. I got mine in 99 and it works like a champ. A few tiles have fallen off, but no big deal. I do know his lies, stealing and deceptions are real though. Karma has finally caught up to him! I think his business is now on the downside, mostly thanks to the KK product and this forum. Before this, RJ was in control. No longer! The stories I could tell would blow your mind
foxhound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:23 pm    

Kamado fan.....I have a k7 since 2001 that has not failed, and I was initially treated well by the Johnsons. Then when I ordered another one I encountered the Johnsons that lied repeatedly, didn't answer phone calls, or emails. The same complaint about their Kustomer service has existed on that forum since I bought in 2001. I didn't believe it possible in the beginning. But I learned first hand about their pathetic Kustomer service.

The Johnsons have destoryed their own business with their poor customer service. Their forum has been plagued with issues from people that have product failures and get no response from the Kompany. Nobody here is claiming all of their units are bad. But the percentage is significant and I certainly would not recommend anyone purchase their product because their Kustomer Service is famously bad.

No one has been successful getting anything out of RJ because he doesn't seem to have anything worth taking and they waste more money on attorneys chasing someone who can't pay. For many this site is their resolution. You clearly are narcisistically delusional.....if you haven't been screwed then no one else has been screwed. There are too few of you left to even keep their forum going. If you are looking for Kamado accessories good luck. By the way they no longer accept credit cards...it seems too many people have had to seek refunds via the credit card companies. But you can send them a check. And when you don't receive your order, or it doesn't fit, or it is just wrong, let us know how quickly they took care of you..... You could start a forum extolling the virtues of their cooker, but oh yeah they have one that nobody wants to post on anymore.

You are definitely a laugh, are you also a Johnson?
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 am    

Kamado Fan,

As far as making this a more balanced forum by getting more positive comments from happy owners, that would require happy owners to come here and post how happy they are, wouldn't it? You have seen that your glowing report about your cooker was not deleted, so where are all the happy owners that want to try to make this forum more balanced? It can't be fear of having their posts deleted. Could it be that even owners with good cookers won't stand up for Richard Johnson in light of the things he has done? This is an open forum. If happy owners want to post here, they have the means to do so. If they want to try to swing the balance of this forum, they have the means to do so.

But somehow I think that when the issue itself is so glaringly one-sided, you can't produce the balance that you seek. We have documented all the things Richard Johnson has done like stealing a yacht, stealing money from companies, stealing money from the state of California and stealing money from investors. How do you propose that we balance this out? Do we post about how Richard Johnson put 50 cents in the Salvation Army bucket last Christmas? Do we post about how he once found a turtle crossing a road and he moved the turtle to safety? Exactly what could anyone post that would provide a balance to all the crimes that Richard Johnson has committed?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: