Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

My Horror Story
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonchiaro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:54 pm    

My Horror Story

Wow. Amazing. Justice.

This is the type of site I threatened Kamado that I would create if they did not give me either my money back or my BBQ unit...but wait...I am getting ahead myself.

My name is Steve. I ordered a number #7 grill with drum, LP, and all the extras from Kamado in the summer of '06. The cost was $2216. On May 24th, 2006 I officially contracted for the grill and paid a deposit of $1,097, using my VISA card. Prior to the order, I worked diligently with Laura J. to select a suitable color. The color and patina of the tile was most important to me. Finally I agreed on a matte green, ordered, the grill, paid my 50% deposit and waited.

On July 28th, Laura called to say that the unit was finished and she requested approval for full payment which I gave her. On July 29th, the final $1097 was paid via VISA.

On August 1st, I received an e-mail from Laura J. telling me that the color of my unit was inexplicably changed without her any notice. The company said that they would send a pic of the new color and assured me that if I did not like the color, they would re-engage in finding a suitable color and rebuild me a new grill. The pic they sent me was a mottled green/blue gloss and I did not like it at all. They said, "Okay. Sorry." And I said, "Oh well...I want a Kamado...so let's start anew."

Beginning in December of'06 (the delay being my responsibility), I began searching for a new color with Richelle J. In the last week of February '07, we identified the new acceptable color and a new Kamado invoice #9269 was drawn up, sent to me via e-mail and marked: "Paid In Full".
Mid April, Richelle wrote and said that the drum was completed and the grill should be finished, crated and shipped in three weeks.

I began calling Kamado in mid-May. No one answered. Instead of a live person, there was only a recorded announcement and an answering machine, inviting me to leave a message.

Let me be clear, up until now, Laura and Richelle had been lovely to work with---except of course, the mistake with the original color---but I never attributed that mistake to them as their personal fault.

No one ever returned my call.

I called and left 50 messages.

I wrote 20 e-mails, to Laura, Richelle, Richard and anyone else I could glean as a potential CC.

I called other facilities listed under Kamado or personally under Richard Johnson in the Sacramento area. Still no response.

I found a non-company e-mail address for Laura who seemed to be working in Ensanada and wrote her there. Nothing. No response.

I contacted the San Diego BBB and filed a complaint. They, the BBB, attempted to contact Kamado on numerous occasions without any success.

I even contacted Laura through Kamado's e-bay site. Using my e-bay name which is different from my e-mail name, Laura answered me originally when I asked "questions of the seller" but when I revealed who I was and asked for help---asked for my grill or my money---exasperatedly asked, "why me?"...she never responded.

So...what to do?

Towards the end, I wrote and left telephonic messages to Richard, Laura and Richelle saying that most probably I would get my money back if I disputed the charge with VISA. That being true, then why not build me my grill. I even offered to pay any extra increases in manufacturing or shipping costs over the full amount I paid in the summer of '06...and then I warned, "Look, if you don't respond to me, not only will I dispute the charge with VISA but I will create an internet site that will explain what you did to me."

No answer.

On June 25th, 2007 I sent VISA a thirteen page document complete with all the supporting e-mails from Kamado to me and vice versa disputing my charge on account of lack of delivery.

Two months later, VISA awarded me a full credit.

Thank-you Forum for giving me this voice.
DavidS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:53 pm    

VERY nice work and posting the details of your problem. Welcome to the group. If you purchase a KK you will not be disappointed or have the service problems that you did with rj & family. Just me from past dealing with the K. Had 2 POS's. Now a very happy camper with my KK.
tcoliver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:47 am    

Its all a part of the con game and they play it to a tee.
mpit

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:48 am    

What is a KK?

I did have some luck with Visa giving me a refund on some repair work Kamado agreed to do for me on a K# they sent me with a defective top etc. They refunded $400 because that is the amount I put on my card. I paid the rest in cash. They gave Kamado 30 days to respond to my complaint and when they didnt respond they credited my visa the full $400.

mpit
foxhound

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:54 am    

A KK is a KomodoKamado, the competition that exceeded the K in improvements and quality. I have both and the KK far exceeds the K in build, function, and especially Customer Service.

www.komodoKamado.com

I found them after getting so frustrated with Kamado and went looking to see if there were any competitors since I had purchased my K7. The bonus is that he usually has inventory stateside available for immediate shipment. You will find many of the old K members on the KK forum as well.
Gerard

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:31 am    

Re: My Horror Story

nonchiaro wrote:
...I ordered a number #7 grill with drum, LP, and all the extras from Kamado...

...Richelle wrote and said that the drum was completed....

What's a "drum"?
foxhound

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:31 am    

I thought it was a bottom part of a unit with a flat lid that serves to hold a propane tank and a side table...tiled to match.....but not really sure
mpit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:02 am    

success

I orders a lumpsaver from Mr. Linkletter and it arrived in 3 days. A nice man and great to deal with. If you need parts for your Kamado, he is worth talking to.

merrill
Chirogyro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:09 am    

Who is Mr. Linkletter? I need a few things myself...
Nemesis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 am    

Dennis Linkletter builds Komodo Kamado grills. He was generously making parts for people stranded by RJ, but was overwhelmed by the demand, at could not continue offering those parts at the expense of his own cooker business.

He can still deliver you a new tiled cooker, though Razz
Chirogyro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:44 am    

Oh, I didn't know his last name...

I've already talked with him and some of his current accessories will fit the number 7 I have currently.. (Yes, I have one... LONG story I'll tell in private emails).

I'm just waiting for my current #7 to die before I buy a KK. Its pretty new (it was a warranty replacement that I got, believe it or not) so it has a while to go... Maybe 3 or 4 more cooks. Smile

-M
gibsonfe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:50 pm    

No response from Kamado

Hi;

I have just registered with this forum. It is really informative. I live in Sacramento and purchased my Kamado from them when their factory was here. I have always had trouble getting a response from them unless I went to their factory in West Sacramento. Since they moved to Mexico, I have had a lot of trouble with them responding to my phone calls or emails. I did not realize how bad Kamado has become. Hopefully, the Mexican authorities will get their act together and chase RJ and company back to the states.

Thanks to all who have posted here and opened a lot of Kamado owners eyes. I have read johnnyboys posts on both forums. I see a lot of problems being posted on the Kamado forum without resolution. Speaks highly of Kamado.

I love my Kamado, and it works well. I am glad I bought it when it was made in Sacramento.
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:41 am    

Well, your wish is someone's command. RJ and his little band of merry family members are Las Vegas now. They are now incorporated as "J5 Designs" in Nevada. Lovely. "Manufacturing" is in Indonesia again. Their address is posted here somewhere...
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:01 am    

Re: No response from Kamado

gibsonfe wrote:
Hi;

I love my Kamado, and it works well. I am glad I bought it when it was made in Sacramento.

Mine also works well although it has some cracks in it,and it's days are numbered.They also would not return my call about repair options and the warranty.I would like to know how old yours is.I got mine in 05' right at the time they were introducing stainless bands and I believe they were imported from Indonesia.I am wondering if mine is from Sac.or Indo.Any idea?To bad I did't buy from a company that would stand by their product and communicate with the previous customers.I think it's only a matter of time before they dissapear altogether,I don't think they can afford to honor the warranty and business doesn't seem to be doing well.The forum is empty most of the time except for a few Fanboy's.
gibsonfe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:00 am    

Re: No Response

I purchased mine in October 2003 and delivered in March 2004. I lived closed enough to their factory in West Sacramento, so I was able to see the progress on mine. They moved after that. I am not sure exactly when but it wasn't too long after mine was delivered. I have some small cracks on the interior. However, I have an old clay Kamado pot which I purchased in 1975. It has cracks all over the lid, but it still works. I have had no trouble with the tiles as of yet. I am not sure if they are physically in Las Vegas or not, but I think they are still in Ensenada. I like the looks of the Komodokamado, but until my Kamado goes south, I will continue to use it. I BBQ almost 4 times a week and at least once a week in the winter. Again, I am happy with it and hopefully, it lasts as long as the old clay pot.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Kamado Grief in General All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: