Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

One Year Anniversary Approaching Fast
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Rip-Off Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sKrewed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:24 am    

One Year Anniversary Approaching Fast

Hello folks. I happened upon this forum and was suprised by the number of people having issues with Richard Johnson and the Kamado company. I placed my order on December 17 of 2007 (invoice 9981). I ordered a number 7 with upgraded tile and folding side tables, all to the tune of $1380. Seemed like a lot for a charcoal cooker, but the pictures on the site and customer testimony on the Kamado Forum led me to believe that it was money well spent. I haven't been disappointed. I received my cooker within the estimated timeframe, and in perfect condition. I've turned out countless, delicious meals on my #7 since, and I would recommend to anyone that they take advantage of the Christmas Sale and order today.

Shocked, suprised, reading in disbelief???? Don't be. In the grand tradition of Richard Johnson and everything Kamado, I'm telling a huge lie.

I did take advantage of the 2007 Christmas Sale (in retrospect, I was taken advantage of BY the 2007 Christmans Sale) and placed my order on December 17 of last year. I made my down payment and waited patiently. And waited, and waited, and waited. I did receive an email on February 22, 2008, informing me that the company had made significant improvements to the 2008 model (hot face ceramic formula, thickness, manufacturing process, stainless steel damper collar, blah blah blah....) and that shipment would be slightly delayed. Not to worry. So I waited, and waited, and waited and waited some more.

It was then that I found your forum and realized that I could stop waiting, cuz it just wasn't going to happen. I started calling and emailing Kamado in March of this year and have never received a reply of any kind. I signed up on the Kamado forum in July, and my account was created in an already suspended state. They knew I wasn't registering to sing praises to their product and their company.

What is especially aggravating to me is that there were warning signs all over the place, and I chose to ignore them based on the pictures of units, the "lifetime warranty", and the accollades from satisfied customers on the Kamado forum.

Warning #1: What reputable company has a website chock full of mispelled words?
Warning #2: What reputable company has a picture of a "model" posing with their charcoal pallets with a chubby, exposed midriff and bad teeth (hi Laura, I assume that's you)?
Warning #3: What reputable company doesn't answer their order line on the first call? (it was only later that I realized that they need to check their records to see if you truly are a new caller, cuz if you aren't, chances are you aren't calling with good news)
Warning #4: What reputable company offers a 3% discount if you send a check for your down payment, cuz the credit card machine is down indefinitely (okay, a HUGE mybad on this one. My wife still can't believe I fell for that one)
Warning #5: What reputable company asks you to address your check to "DBA (doing business as) Kamado Corp"? (Wife wasn't thrilled when I told her this one either)

The biggest warning of all, now anyway, is the Kamado Fraud Forum and the number of unhappy posts from customers that have done (or attempted to do) business with Richard Johnson. I honestly think that when I first googled "Kamado", the Fraud Forum did not come up on the first page, and I rarely or ever go to the second page of search results. Hopefully, anybody thinking about buying a Kamado will see this site and go out and spend their money with an honest company. I waited until now to post hoping that anyone thinking about taking advantage of the big Christmas Sale will see this and not make the same mistake I did.

I believe I read somewhere within this site that RJ monitors this forum. I realize that by posting here, I'm forfeiting any remaining chance of ever receiving what I paid for. Even so, if you do happen to read this, Mr. Richard Johnson, and if you happen to find my imaginary #7 tucked away in an imaginary corner of some big imaginary warehouse you own, and if it was accidentally misplaced and you've made countless imaginary attempts to contact me by phone and by email, don't bother. You won't see another dime of mine.

Regards to all, and Happy Holidays........

sKrewed
Tampa, Fl
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:25 am    

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. If you mailed RJ a check, can't you turn your case over to the post office as mail fraud? We would LOVE for someone who has truly been screwed by RJ to pursue the matter with the appropriate authority so as to try to stop RJ from hurting other people.

Admin, I think the list of warnings from sKrewed should be made into a sticky or something.
The Spanker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:47 pm    

Re: One Year Anniversary Approaching Fast

sKrewed wrote:

...but the pictures on the site and customer testimony on the Kamado Forum led me to believe...

sKrewed wrote:

...and the accollades from satisfied customers on the Kamado forum.

Yep. The forum has sold more K's than all their other marketing efforts combined.

But now, even the most slavish of fanboys can no longer deny that things are not as advertised and that customers are being defrauded.

And that's the reason that anyone that participates in that forum now, except in an attempt to get product/service/warranty issues resolved, is guilty of helping the Johnsons secure their next victims.

It doesn't matter if their post is nothing more that a cooking technique or a discussion of the weather, it helps give the Johnsons the illusion of a vibrant forum and helps bury the problems.

So before anyone reading this decides they just have to share their Thanksgiving joy with other bbq fans, there are far worthier ceramic sites where you'll undoubtably be welcomed and not help someone get shafted in the process.
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:06 pm    

It is worth noting that with the steep decline in number of posts on the Kamado forum, the Johnson family has been replying to almost anything in order to get the post count up. Deborah has been posting years old photos of things she claims to have cooked, saying that she has just cooked it again. I wonder. She apologizes that she didn't have time to take new photos. Uh, huh. Like maybe she didn't really cook anything and just posted the old photos? Uh, huh. They are trying to keep the forum looking like it is active in order to reel in a few more suckers....
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm    

It could be worse!

Quote:
Warning #2: What reputable company has a picture of a "model" posing with their charcoal pallets with a chubby, exposed midriff and bad teeth (hi Laura, I assume that's you)?
Debra could have posed for those pictures! Shocked
The Spanker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:17 pm    

Re: One Year Anniversary Approaching Fast

sKrewed wrote:
I honestly think that when I first googled "Kamado", the Fraud Forum did not come up on the first page, and I rarely or ever go to the second page of search results.

That's possible, if you took more than a month to buy after your search.

The fraud forum was first spotted (@ #9) on the first page of Google in mid Nov 2007. Razz

We were on page 3 (@ #25) just a month earlier. Confused

How did we jump so many spots so fast, you ask? Shocked

Well, on October 16th, 2007, a little story titled "Richard Johnson and the boat called Nam Sang" was posted here. Wink

Of course, we've been firmly entrenched as the #3 entry in a Google search for many months now. Evil or Very Mad There's little doubt that we'll be in the top spot some day. Twisted Evil Don't know if we'll have to climb over the two Kamado Co listings or if they'll just cease to be. Cool
GRB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:34 am    

Mr. sKrewed...

That sucks about you not getting your cooker, but what would you advise you Mother to do if she was ripped off for $1300 in the manner that you have described??

You wouldn't let her sit back and just say "Oh Well!"

What you describe sounds alot like wire & mail fraud. Those are super serious crimes that any Atty General would be interested in. If it took place across state lines then it may become a Federal affair. Since you mailed in a check, the Postmaster General would investigate.

Is Richard a criminal, or an incompetent businessman?? I do not know the answer, but the transaction you describe has all the halmarks of a scammer. If they wanted you to Western Union the money then it would sound just like a Nigerian scammer.

NOTHING should take 1yr to get. Especially a BBQ.

Mr. sKrewed...
Demand you money or your cooker in 10 days...Either one is fine. On day eleven start sending letters to your ATTY General, the Nevada ATTY General, the Postmaster General in both states. Call the mailbox store owner and advise them that they are facilitating a fraud and they should "cease & desist" or become party to the lawsuit. (they will likely terminate his mailbox). File a small claims suit and get a default judgement (he won't show up to defend himself). There is more and more.

RJ.... where is this guy's cooker?? Has your BBQ-Ponzi scheme collapsed so much that you have no money AND no BBQ's to fulfill orders?? Are you taking todays deposits to build yesterdays orders and string everyone along? How did you let things get like this?? You always sucked at customer service (I have emails to prove it!) but you used to make stuff. What's going on now?? You guys sound like Gypsy scammers!
sKrewed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:31 pm    

I appreciate the information and feedback. fishtail-99 and GRB: pursuing mail fraud is a good idea. I'll follow-up and let you know what happens.

tcoliver: I am still interested in buying a cooker. My 15 year old Ducane is on its last legs. I first began looking into the egg style cookers over a year ago when my neighbor bought a Grill Dome. He was happy with the cooker and the results, and it was much cheaper than a Green Egg. Then I found the Kamado's on the web and really liked the look and the fact that you could order whatever tile you wanted (plus, as mentioned before, all the positive feedback on the forum).

Now, one year later, I'm more interested in function over form. The Komodo Kamado's look great, but they're a little pricey. I was at my local pool store today and they had an XL oval Primo on dislplay. It looked pretty nice and the price was on the order of a "Christmas Sale" #7. I'd be interested in additional information on legitimate companies with functional products and good customer service.

Thanks again, I'll let you know where I get with the post office.....

sKrewed....
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:14 pm    

Dick Johnson!

Quote:
GRB wrote: RJ.... where is this guy's cooker?? Has your BBQ-Ponzi scheme collapsed so much that you have no money AND no BBQ's to fulfill orders?? Are you taking todays deposits to build yesterdays orders and string everyone along?
I agree with GRB. Dick Johnson is literally robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Quote:
The Spanker wrote: There's little doubt that we'll be in the top spot some day. Don't know if we'll have to climb over the two Kamado Co listings or if they'll just cease to be.
They have got to be near a collapse over there. But they won't ever let on. They will just keep inventing new ideas to generate interest and keep a few bucks rolling in while they continue to string people along. Every once in a while some guy will get his order and make others believe they can to. That's how R.J. keeps a little cash rolling in. Mr. Skrewed I sure hope you can get your money returned and buy from a trustworthy company. Have a Happy Thanksgiving anyway. Wink
Gerard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:32 pm    

tcoliver wrote:
BGE, Grill Dome and Primo are all excellent choices however they will probably only last as long as a gas grill.

Wrong, my friend. They'll last at least as long as a kk. Don't go ticking off all those fan clubs.
Nemesis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:05 pm    

Yep

I'm with Gerard on that one...
curly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:34 am    

I too will have to agree with Gerard (as much as that hurts Embarassed ). The BGE's are definately a lifetime grill. The Primo hasn't been around that long (less than 10 years) but they also have a cult following. Not sure about Grill dome but I've never really heard any negatives about them.

The KK hasn't been around that long either, what...5 years or so right? But many will attest to the customer service there, and they don't delete posts from the forum. It is pricier, that's for sure, but don't let the price of the KK scare you off. Dennis has had many times that he offers a great sell on one that was ordered and then the buyer backed out. I was thinking about the less expensive brands myself, although I really wanted the beauty of the tile...then I talked to Dennis (the owner of KK).

Call/email/PM Dennis before you rule out a KK, you may be very pleasantly surprised...I know I was. But, if in the end you go with anything other than a K, you done good, really good.

Sorry about you disaster with RJ Mad
GRB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:51 am    

Compare the metal work and the thickness & weight. then decide.
Besides... put it on your citi-card...and wait for the bailout money to trickle down.
SoCalBoy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:36 pm    

I have a Grill Dome.

It's a great product if all you want to do is to cook great BBQ. I didn't buy it because it I thought it would add to my back yard experience, I just wanted good food and that it can certainly produce.

Tony not rag on you but maybe you need to heed your own advice. Very Happy

~SoCalBoy Cool

PS: I plan on passing it down to one of my sons.
tcoliver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:40 pm    

I think I'll do that.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Rip-Off Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: