Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:54 pm    

"DESPERATE IN SEATTLE"

Check these out! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Quote:
Dano
Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 2:09 pm:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Desperate!!!! I have a broken "hat" and need to use aluminum foil as my upper damper. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, "DESPERATE IN SEATTLE"
Dano

Shocked
fishtail-99

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:03 pm    

Yep, and then the fanboys tell him that he screwed up by not cleaning the threads, but then he tells them he did clean the threads. Rust rust rust. What an incredibly crappy design and execution on the part of RJ.
curly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:43 am    

It's obvious to me that he's

1. cleaned it so much that he's removed the protective coating Embarassed

2. improper break-in

3. had it to hot
a. possibly used improper heat deflector

There are many ways RJ can blame the user Rolling Eyes
The Spanker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:27 pm    

EEK!!!

Didn't something like that come out of some poor guy's chest in the original Alien movie? Shocked

Wow. Just look at how badly the post is corroded. Especially the portion that was embedded in the cement! That doesn't bode well for the chicken wire that is holding the rest of the cooker together.

Miscellaneous musings:

RJ's cookers are basically ferrocement. We know they have a chicken wire skeleton. Chicken wire is not supposed to be used in long lasting ferrocement applications because it corrodes so badly. Long-lasting construction applications are supposed to use a high grade steel mesh. The odds that RJ paid for something more expensive than chickenwire are remote.

The consequences of a corroding skeleton are severe:

1. Despite containing more well distributed and evenly dispersed reinforcement elements in ferrocement compared with traditional reinforced concrete, accumulation of rust around fine wires resulted in the development of a bursting pressure sufficient to generate cracking;

2. The loss of steel as a consequence of corrosion leads to a reduction not only in strength but also in ductility and transforms ferrocement, an otherwise ductile material of outstanding quality, into a brittle one;

Theory: This may explain why older K's are now developing body wall cracks. The rusting wire is literally forcing the "refractory" material apart.
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:56 pm    

Good reply Spanker!

I am a contractor by trade. When I demo old plaster on an exterior it always has rusted chicken wire in it. Stucco walls still seem to absorb some moisture which has a hand in rusting the chicken wire. The chicken wire probably doesn't have a lot of structural strength but it gives the stucco cement a place to grab. Then it seems to start the corrosion process. I have also seen hairline cracks in new and old stucco which can be caused by improper curing or a weak mix. As the wall breaths in moisture through those cracks it can also speed up the corrosion process. If you look at a piece of old broken cement that has rebar in it you will notice the rust has set in like in the damper top. In this case the rebar does add structural strength but it is meant to last much longer and unlike the damper top it isn't meant to be moved or forced. Now many contractors are using a coated rebar which does last longer but eventually will corrode. If RJ would have used ceramic he probably wouldn't have needed to use chicken wire at all. In the damper top he should have had a completely different design. I really don't think he cared. I would like to know if Dennis uses chicken wire or fiberglass mesh? I don't think ceramic would need it like cement would but I really don't know much about ceramic compound and I know RJ sure doesn't either.
Chirogyro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:58 am    

Dennis could make his rigs out of cardboard and duct tape and they'd still be better and last longer than the POSK..

Just my opinion...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Hall of Shame All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: