Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Plates to cover hole from older gas unit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hot Rod

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:44 am    

Plates to cover hole from older gas unit

I just recently got a used #7 Kamado with the older gas option that I don't intend to use. Man, what a bad design! My several attempts (e-mail and phone) to contact the Kamado company about purchasing some and also a rod fire box have been met with no reply. It was suggested to try here for some parts or does any body have other suggestions or feedback to help me get the Kamado operating. I know it is often referred to as the POSK but I believe I can get a few cooks out of it (and I don't have a lot of money invested) with the right parts or modifications. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
Hot Rod
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:14 pm    

Welcome Hot Rod

I have a few ideas that might help, but first is there any chance of you possibly posting a couple of pictures? You will probably get a lot more responses that way. I would save myself the misery of trying to get anything from the kamado co. and come up with other solutions. Treat it like they are out of business since they really are except for the website anyway. I will try and help.
Fetzervalve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:51 am    

Hey Hot Rod, would you be the same Hot Rod of Heatinghelp.com fame? Rolling Eyes
Hot Rod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:39 am    

Here are some Pics

Thanks for the reply guys. Nope I am not anything famous Hot Rod or otherwise. "unbelievable" I have some pics but not sure I know how to post them.[/img]
Chirogyro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:47 am    

I've got the plates you're talking about on my dead #7 -- I'll try to disassemble and see what I can salvage for you.

-Michael
Hot Rod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 am    

Michael, "You are the Man"! please let me know what to do. Come to think of it I don't have one of the lower drip pan holder cross bar things either. Any body with suggestions on this (replacement options) along with the ceramic plate with holes in it?

Thanks
Hot Rod
Hot Rod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:33 am    

By the way it's a damn shame that I tried several weeks to get a response from Richard Johnson with no success but within a day someone here is willing to help a brother out. Go figure!

Thanks guys
Hot Rod
Nemesis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:17 pm    

I think the round ceramic plate can be replaced with a charcoal grate from a weber grill, which should be readily available on the shelf. I have also heard that a Lodge cast iron trivet could be used as well.

This thread on another forum discusses these options, while going over one of the most impressive POSK overhauls I have ever seen.

http://komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1009
Hot Rod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:11 pm    

Do you know what size weber charcoal grate? Does it just sit in the fire box with no concerns about expanding when heated to put more pressure on the firebox wall? Also it was mentioned about the Lodge CI trivet it needed modification, does anyone know what needs to be modified?

Thanks
Hot Rod
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:41 pm    

You came to the right place.........

Quote:
Hot Rod wrote:"unbelievable" I have some pics but not sure I know how to post them.
That's okay, it sounds like you are getting plenty of help. Like I said the kompany really doesn't even exsist anymore. The Fanboy's are even jumping ship! That rebuild thread should really be a help also. Wink
Nemesis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:52 pm    

Hot Rod wrote:
Do you know what size weber charcoal grate? Does it just sit in the fire box with no concerns about expanding when heated to put more pressure on the firebox wall? Also it was mentioned about the Lodge CI trivet it needed modification, does anyone know what needs to be modified?

Thanks
Hot Rod

Sorry, I dont know the size grate you will need. You should be able to just measure the opening and choose a weber grate that is an inch or two larger. I dont know how concerned you need to be with expansion, as RJ has created and sold various metal lumpsavers that sit down in the fire ring.

There is much discussion on the POSK forum about using a grill wok with holes in it, too. Try searching for "huck wok".
seattlepitboss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:10 am    

I have the same problem as the original poster: just got a K7 with ancient old-style gas burner, pulled & tossed the burner, now need to plug the hole. Unlike the original poster, I have pictures. Here is a shot looking down into the firebox:

Old style K7s which shipped without the gas burner had nice stainless plates which bolted over the hole. If anyone has a pair of these, I'd love to know about it.

seattlepitboss
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:41 am    

You might also try filling that hole rutland furnace cement. I think that would work nicely.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:54 am    

I was thinking of using Rutland like this:

(1) Tape a sheet of wax paper to a 10" square of cardboard. Place that over the hole on the outside of the cooker, wax paper facing in and duct-tape it in place.

(2) Have a similar wax/paper cardboard sheet ready for the inside.

(3) Fill in the hole from the inside of the cooker with Rutland's furnace cement.

(4) Place the second cardboard sheet over the inside of the hole, wax paper facing in toward the cement, and wedge it in place with something. Duct tape probably wouldn't stick.

(5) Let it dry in place. When you take the cardboard off the wax paper may or may not stick, but is easily burned off if it does. Voila, you have a custom plug.

Just an idea.
seattlepitboss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:16 am    

Admin wrote:
I was thinking of using Rutland like this:

(1) Tape a sheet of wax paper to a 10" square of cardboard. Place that over the hole on the outside of the cooker, wax paper facing in and duct-tape it in place.

(2) Have a similar wax/paper cardboard sheet ready for the inside.

(3) Fill in the hole from the inside of the cooker with Rutland's furnace cement.

(4) Place the second cardboard sheet over the inside of the hole, wax paper facing in toward the cement, and wedge it in place with something. Duct tape probably wouldn't stick.

That's a great idea. I still have the shaped plates which fit around the old-style burner, so for the inside I could use wax paper, cardboard, steel plate, wedging stick going from the outside in. I figure once I got the inside wall mold plate made, I could apply the cement from the outside. I have never worked with Rutland's cement. I'll go have a look for it today at Home Depot.

I found a lead on some cobalt tiles, so once I patch up the hole, I might even be able to tile over the outside so the hole would just go away.

Thanks for writing!

seattlepitboss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: