Kamado Fraud Forum    
Kamado Fraud Forum    

Plates to cover hole from older gas unit
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unbelievable

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:25 am    

I was thinking that might be a deep hole to fill with Rutland. How about thinset the same way? Then tiling over that? Isn't the "Lifetime Warranty" void if you use anything other than M-63D? Laughing
seattlepitboss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:19 am    

Unbelievable wrote:
I was thinking that might be a deep hole to fill with Rutland. How about thinset the same way? Then tiling over that?

Actually, I'm thinking of cutting down a firebrick on my buddy's tile saw, and trying to mortar in a piece of firebrick, using Rutland cement or equivalent hi-temp mortar, and then do the mold thing. I don't want to use Rutland anywhere more than 1/4" thick.

seattlepitboss
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:13 pm    

Hehe.... POSK's are great for us Do-It-Yourself-ers!

Wink
DavidS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:49 pm    

My POSK a #7 purchased in 2001 had the gas door with a steel plate covering it. They later sold a fix to fill the hole. It was the same dam thing that can one the the POS.
Hot Rod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:02 am    

This is what I did

When I originally posted this inquiry about the plates I got a reply from one of the forum members (Chirogyro) who had a set of older plates that he sent me (thanks again Michael). The outside plate was in decent shape but the inside one was a little thin/rusty/burnt but possibly still usable. I used these for a template and had a buddy of mine fabricate duplicate plates made out of stainless. I then thought, How will I plug the hole? I went through very similar thoughts and ideas as posted above and finaly discovered a Ceramic Fiber Insulating Blanket (one inch thick insulating blanket for constructing raku kilns or for an extra layer of insulation on a gas kiln. Two feet wide, and sold by the foot). It is similar to dense fiberglass (rated to a bazillion degrees) and cut to size it filled the hole perfectly. I bolted the new stainless plates on the outside and inside and voila a perfect and less messy and labor intesive solution. I still have the plates that Chirogyro sent me and some extra ceramic fiber insulation lying around I could get out to you. If you want to give it a shot PM me.

Hot Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kamado Fraud Forum Index :: Sales, Parts, and Repairs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: